[comp.sys.atari.st] bizarre problem

gael@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Gillette Elvgren) (02/13/90)

  I just recently bought a Mega2 with a monochrome monitor and wanted
to hook up the mono with my 520ST giving the Mega my color monitor.
Everything works fine except the monochrome monitor doesn't display
anything with the 520ST.  I've tried the ST with color and the mega
with both (color and mono).  Apparently my ST doesn't like the mono.
The monitor's power is on, and I can here keyclicks but no display.

  Does anyone have any advice?

Gillette
gael@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/14/90)

In article <7956@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, gael@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Gillette Elvgren) writes:

>   I just recently bought a Mega2 with a monochrome monitor and wanted
> to hook up the mono with my 520ST giving the Mega my color monitor.
> Everything works fine except the monochrome monitor doesn't display
> anything with the 520ST.  I've tried the ST with color and the mega
> with both (color and mono).  Apparently my ST doesn't like the mono.
> The monitor's power is on, and I can here keyclicks but no display.
>
>   Does anyone have any advice?

Two obvious source of problem in the 520:
1. the connector is broken.  The mono signal is on a different pin.
2. one of the monitors ASSERTS a signal to the 520.  If it thinks its always
   color, mono will surely be screwed up.
3. Internally the mono signals must make it thru parts of the motherboard
   to get to the connector.   (Maybe also thru a chip! [ my drawings are
   home]).

Bottom line.  Your 520 is Broken.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs