[comp.sys.atari.st] 3.5" disks needed!

tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) (02/10/90)

Help!!  For the past couple years, I've been buying bulk 3.5" DSDD disks from
MEI/MicroCenter.  I've bought THOUSANDS of disks from them, starting when they
were $1 per disk.  Now they are $.45 per disk and they are shit.  Out of each
200 I buy, at least 50-75 of them won't format DS.  I figure they are just
using SS disks (because the SS disks are the same price).  Back when the
disks were from $.70 - $1 each, they were great disks and it was a great deal.
Now it sucks having to return disks only to get more bad ones.  Some of these
disks have "marks" (look like scratches) across the media that I just wonder
is doing to my drive.

I need to find a place that sells bulk DSDD disks, GOOD disks at a good price.
I buy, on the average, 100 a month.

And to think, Computer Shopper says MEI is the people's choice for best value.
HA!  They haven't responded to my letters.  When I call, they always ask what
kind of computer I have, then tell me to send them back to be cheerfully
replaced.  I want them to be good the first time!

Anyone with recommendations, please mail me.  Thanks.

--
 Tom Bellucco - moscom!tmb@cs.rochester.edu  or  {...}!rochester!moscom!tmb
                    -------------------------------------

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/10/90)

In article <2013@moscom.UUCP>, tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) writes:
>Help!!  For the past couple years, I've been buying bulk 3.5" DSDD disks from
>MEI/MicroCenter.  I've bought THOUSANDS of disks from them, starting when they
>were $1 per disk.  Now they are $.45 per disk and they are shit.  Out of each
>200 I buy, at least 50-75 of them won't format DS.  I figure they are just
>using SS disks (because the SS disks are the same price).  Back when the
>disks were from $.70 - $1 each, they were great disks and it was a great deal.
>Now it sucks having to return disks only to get more bad ones.  Some of these
>disks have "marks" (look like scratches) across the media that I just wonder
>is doing to my drive.
>
>I need to find a place that sells bulk DSDD disks, GOOD disks at a good price.
>I buy, on the average, 100 a month.

>--
> Tom Bellucco - moscom!tmb@cs.rochester.edu  or  {...}!rochester!moscom!tmb
>                    -------------------------------------
>   "Whatever I said, I didn't mean it...unless, of course, you liked it!"
>   #include <std.disclaimer>

I have recently seen an ad in the latest Damark catalog (have some real deals,
and some real caca) for bulk Sony disks.  Cost is $79 for 100 disks.  I don't
know if they are good or factory seconds or what, but the price seems good.
They have a 1-800 number (they advertise in everything, they are the ones with
the full page adds for discontinued lapstops and stuff) which I do not have
handy, but I recommend finding it and requesting a catalog.  They do have some
neat stuff in there, weird things that the general populus did not catch on
to, but are just the thing for us wire-heads.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

landry@enginr.dec.com (02/12/90)

In article <2013@moscom.UUCP>, tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) writes...
"Help!!  For the past couple years, I've been buying bulk 3.5" DSDD disks from
"MEI/MicroCenter.  I've bought THOUSANDS of disks from them, starting when they
"were $1 per disk.  Now they are $.45 per disk and they are shit.  Out of each
"200 I buy, at least 50-75 of them won't format DS.  I figure they are just
"using SS disks (because the SS disks are the same price).  Back when the
"disks were from $.70 - $1 each, they were great disks and it was a great deal.
"Now it sucks having to return disks only to get more bad ones.  Some of these
"disks have "marks" (look like scratches) across the media that I just wonder
"is doing to my drive.
"
	Interesting - I just (well, a couple of months ago) bought 50
	disks from MEI and they all formatted DS with no problems.  A
	whole lot of people recommended them so I assumed their quality
	was generally good. Anybody elso having problems?

	chris

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/14/90)

I also have been buying MEI disks for years.  Some of the last batch I
gave the electric drill treatment to and formatted them HD.  No problems.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385