[comp.sys.atari.st] drawings -< pic, laserjet, postscript??

chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) (02/05/90)

In article <249@fornax.UUCP<, chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) writes:
<
< Does anyone have, or know of, a program which will let you
< create (relatively) simple line drawings and which will
< produce as output (in order of preference)
<
< 1. PIC commands
< 2. an HP LaserJet
< 3. Postscript
<

That is troff pic btw not pic format images. I haven't had a
reply to the original posting - surely someone has wanted to
do this before?

 Thanks,
 	john

 chapman@cs.sfu.ca
 uunet!van-bc!syssol!john

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (02/06/90)

In article <273@fornax.UUCP> chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) writes:
>In article <249@fornax.UUCP<, chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) writes:
><
>< Does anyone have, or know of, a program which will let you
>< create (relatively) simple line drawings and which will
>< produce as output (in order of preference)
><
>< 1. PIC commands
>< 2. an HP LaserJet
>< 3. Postscript
><
>That is troff pic btw not pic format images. I haven't had a
>reply to the original posting - surely someone has wanted to
>do this before?
>
> chapman@cs.sfu.ca
> uunet!van-bc!syssol!john

For what it's worth, I tried to respond and the message bounced from someplace
nearer to you than to me.

Anyway, PageStream has simple drawing capabilities, and produces Postscript
output.  It may also handle HP LaserJet directly, I don't remember for sure.

                                           Steve J.

rcd@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (rana.c.dutt) (02/12/90)

In article <273@fornax.UUCP>, chapman@fornax.UUCP (John Chapman) writes:
>   Does anyone have, or know of, a program which will let you
>   create (relatively) simple line drawings and which will
>   produce as output (in order of preference)
>
>   1. [troff] PIC commands
>   2. an HP LaserJet
>   3. Postscript

The drawing tools in Pagestream 1.8 are very good. After you're done,
you simply load the printer driver you want from Pagestream's wide
selection of output modules, which includes the HP Laserjet and Postscript.
I have both the HP Deskjet and the Paintjet, and the output quality on both
is excellent.

If you want to merge these drawings into troff documents, I suggest you
convert your troff output to postscript first, with a postscript
post-processor. Then merge the postscript generated from Pagestream into it.

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtqua.att.com

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/14/90)

In article <3831@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, rcd@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (rana.c.dutt) writes:

> The drawing tools in Pagestream 1.8 are very good. After you're done,
> you simply load the printer driver you want from Pagestream's wide
> selection of output modules, which includes the HP Laserjet and Postscript.
> I have both the HP Deskjet and the Paintjet, and the output quality on both
> is excellent.

> If you want to merge these drawings into troff documents, I suggest you
> convert your troff output to postscript first, with a postscript
> post-processor. Then merge the postscript generated from Pagestream into it.

Actually, you can just include the postscript into troff input.
By adding a \! prefix, troff will just pass it thru to the typesetter.
I use this feature all the time to produce overheads for my
UNIX classes.  I produce postscript with Publishing Partner and
then use a make file on the UNIX system to handle the preprocessing
of the postscript to add the prefixes (and strip out garbage generated by
PP.  I use a macro in my troff source to include the postscript file and
tell troff how much space the figure will take.  I am using devps to drive
the postscript printer or typesetter from troff.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385