[comp.sys.atari.st] Software/mouse problemspr

david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) (02/11/90)

 Well, the latest problem I've had with Word Perfect ST has to do with
indenting. It just isn't indenting a paragraph properly, unless I make
the settings and then go in and backspace a few times - suddenly it
works. Second, I put in a few extra tab settings and a minute later find
that they have been reset to default settings. Sometimes this happens
immediately after tabbing once, sometimes a little later. I can't get my
settings to stick. Since I am in the middle of formatting a rather long
document, these idiosyncracies are driving me absolutely bananas.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

derek.linfield@canremote.uucp (DEREK LINFIELD) (02/13/90)

I haven't noticed the problems you've mentioned but then again, I
haven't changed the tabs much yet. I assume you put the at the correct
place in the document? I remember my first experiences with Word Perfect
I'd change the margins but everthing came out wrong. I'd forgotten that
you had to go to the top of the document first.

Have you checked your HD since you installed WP? I'm curious to see if
others are having the crosslinked file problem I'm having.
---
 ~ Via ProDoor 3.2aR
 ~ QNet 2.03: The Crystal Palace * NorthAmeriNet * Toronto (416) 925-5742 *

icsu8053@nero (Craig Pratt) (02/14/90)

In article <90021118332752@masnet.uucp> david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) writes:

> Well, the latest problem I've had with Word Perfect ST has to do with
>indenting. It just isn't indenting a paragraph properly, unless I make
>the settings and then go in and backspace a few times - suddenly it
>works. Second, I put in a few extra tab settings and a minute later find
>that they have been reset to default settings. Sometimes this happens
>immediately after tabbing once, sometimes a little later. I can't get my
>settings to stick. Since I am in the middle of formatting a rather long
>document, these idiosyncracies are driving me absolutely bananas.
>---
> * Via ProDoor 3.1R

It sounds like you are setting your codes in the middle of your dicument.
There are a few basic rules you have to remember when using WordPerfect:

   -Everything is done in codes.  When you set your tabs, it inserts a code
    sequence into your document.  This code is treated as a single character.
    Use Reveal Codes to display the text and codes in a document.

   -The codes only affect the text which comes *after* the code and before
    another occurance of the same code.

   -Some codes have an explicit start and end.  Bold, for instance, will start
    with a big B ([B] in reveal codes) and end with a little b ([b] in reveal
    codes).  These codes are inseperable and if one is deleted, the other will
    be removed.  The only way to restore these types of codes is by using the
    block feature to highlight the text and press the appropriate code.

As far as indenting goes, try following these guidelines:  Use tabs up to the tab stop just previos to where you want to start indenting then use a tab to
indent the first line of the paragraph.  It should look soething like this:
(using tabs stops every three characters)

         This is a test.  Ignore it and it will go away.  My name is Luca, I
      live on the second floor.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy
      whaterer and they all ived happily ever after.

In reveal codes, it would look like:
[TAB][INDENT][TAB]This is a test.  Ignore it and it will go away.  My name is L
ca, I[Srt]live on the second floor........

By the way, don't try to use margin release until you have a VERY good hang
of how WP works.  It can really screw with your mind.  By the way, NEVER use
spaces to line things up in WP.  It will always screw things up.  I'm sorry
if this is a bit too basic, but better safe than confused.  I just completed
another 35 page document last night in WP and it seems that I learn something
new to do with it every time.  It's a slick program, you just have to learn
it language.  But it is a VERY powerful language.

BTW, make sure your tab stops start AFTER your left margin, usually ten.  If
your tab stops are 5, your first stop should be at 15.

Craig Pratt
BitNet: Craig.Pratt@msu3.oscs.montana.edu
GEnie: C.Pratt4

"The ships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't."
Douglas Adams, _The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_