[comp.sys.atari.st] TeX Fonts ... How many are there?

romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) (02/13/90)

I am seriously considering getting the TeX diskettes from the Current
Notes' Library, but first I have some questions which I hope netters
can answer.

Here at the museum, we use SoftQuad's troff system on a Xenix
box coupled with a PostScript printer.  One of the nice things about this
is that we can take advantage of all of Adobe's fonts.  Some of the
one's we find useful are Goudy Old Style, Palatino, Futura.  Does TeX,
in its public distribution, have any means of supporting Adobe fonts or
similar typefaces?

advTHANKSance

Pavneet Arora
...!utgpu!rom!pavneet

         or

rom!pavneet@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6
(416) 586-5626

In article <1990Feb12.205652.12645@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:
>I am seriously considering getting the TeX diskettes from the Current
>Notes' Library, but first I have some questions which I hope netters
>can answer.
>
>Here at the museum, we use SoftQuad's troff system on a Xenix
>box coupled with a PostScript printer.  One of the nice things about this
>is that we can take advantage of all of Adobe's fonts.  Some of the
>one's we find useful are Goudy Old Style, Palatino, Futura.  Does TeX,
>in its public distribution, have any means of supporting Adobe fonts or
>similar typefaces?

If you get MetaFont running, you can create all the fonts you want. Of
course, you should have a good deal of spare time before you try this.
The NeXT machines are shipped with a program called afmtotfm, which
converts Adobe Font Metric files to TeX Font metric files. I don't remember
if the source code is shipped as well, but that at least tells you that
it's a doable thing.

TeX is by far the most versatile text processing system that exists; it
can certainly handle things better than troff can. And, by switching to
TeX/DVI output, you get the advantage of the device-independent output
file format. Since you're using postscript already, that's probably not a
big issue, but if you need to support any other types of printers DVI is
a wonderful thing to be able to take advantage of. I've got a program
(based on code from Imagen written 15 or so years ago) that I've been
hacking on that takes troff CAT output and converts to DVI, just 'cause
it's so handy at times...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (02/14/90)

In article <10915@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>In article <1990Feb12.205652.12645@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:
>>I am seriously considering getting the TeX diskettes from the Current
>>Notes' Library, but first I have some questions which I hope netters
>
>If you get MetaFont running, you can create all the fonts you want. Of
>course, you should have a good deal of spare time before you try this.
>The NeXT machines are shipped with a program called afmtotfm, which

afmtotfm is available (source) in the dvips40 distribution
(june.washington.edu I believe). Yoy might also be able to get
the tfm's from Personal Tex Inc. They list a lot of Adobe fonts
for TeX on the PC.

>converts Adobe Font Metric files to TeX Font metric files. I don't remember
>if the source code is shipped as well, but that at least tells you that
>it's a doable thing.
>
>TeX is by far the most versatile text processing system that exists; it
>can certainly handle things better than troff can. And, by switching to

With TeX I can format and preview files at home on my ST (its
been ported to just about everything but the Sinclair!) and
print 'em at work!

>TeX/DVI output, you get the advantage of the device-independent output
>file format. Since you're using postscript already, that's probably not a
>big issue, but if you need to support any other types of printers DVI is
>a wonderful thing to be able to take advantage of. I've got a program
>(based on code from Imagen written 15 or so years ago) that I've been
>hacking on that takes troff CAT output and converts to DVI, just 'cause

Neat! There is also a troff2tex program in comp.sourcces.unix
that works amazingly well (even equations).

A friend was just finishing a large book (math. physics like)
in troff. When he saw what I could do with TeX he called
his publisher and was told that they could take TeX files
directly, speed up the process and would really appreciate it!
He switched! We found the translator (troff2tex) and he was back
on schedule in a few weeks.

 ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |