[comp.sys.atari.st] STE and multisyncs

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (02/13/90)

I ask ONCE AGAIN. If the STE supports large screen monitors, like the
MONITERMs, can I get the full rez (1024x768) on an OMNIMON Rainbow
multisync. If so, HOW!!!!!

Can someone from Atari PLEASE, PLEASE answer this question?

Can someone from Atari also post the specs on the SIMMs the STE and STACY
are supposed to use?

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/14/90)

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

>I ask ONCE AGAIN. If the STE supports large screen monitors, like the
>MONITERMs, can I get the full rez (1024x768) on an OMNIMON Rainbow
>multisync. If so, HOW!!!!!

Taking this tone does not help you get an answer.  This is the first
time I have seen this question come up, and I'm answering you in spite
of your tone mainly as an excuse to ask people to be more considerate
in the future.

No, the STe can not drive a Moniterm or similar monitor directly. The
video signal for that kind of monitor is totally different from the
normal ST/STe video, and requires extra hardware.  There is an add-in
board available for the Mega which has this hardware.  Since the STe is
in a 1040 case, without the room or stakes for this kind of  board,
it's not available for STe.  We do have plans for a future STe with
enough expansion capability to make this possible, but the details
are not public yet (and I don't know them).

The TT does support Moniterm-style monitors directly.  It has that
extra hardware built in, in addition to other new video modes, plus the
three ST video modes for compatibility.  All the modes except the
1024x768 Moniterm-style mode are usable with the same type of monitor.
That monitor is *like* VGA, but the timing is a little different, so an
off-the-shelf VGA monitor will look funny (i.e. picture too small and
not centered, or something like that).  If you buy the monitor from us,
it will work (of course).  If you buy a multisync monitor, it will come
with enough adjustments that you can make it look good.  Your ST
monitors will not work with a TT.

>Can someone from Atari also post the specs on the SIMMs the STE and STACY
>are supposed to use?

I don't know them.  The SIMMs are there mainly for the cost and space
savings on the PC board, not so you can add memory to your machine.

In some machines the memory is not even socketed: it's SIPs, not SIMMs.
If the cost of SIPs is lower than SIMMs plus sockets at the time we
buy, we use SIPs.