[comp.sys.atari.st] disk caches for 1040ST

mikew@wheeler (Mike Whitbeck) (02/13/90)

Can someone please recommend some disk caching programs for the
1040ST (1.0 ROMS)? Maybe a comparison of what is available?

I tried lcache but found noo doc files. I am not quite sure if I
used it correctly or if there is a bug in it.

I also tried dcache (Dijkstra). I believe it only caches read
buffers and not write. I would like to cache both read/write
operations (floppy and hard disks) and have control over
flushing the buffers (e.g. a 'sync' command).

PD, freeware, shareware, commercial--- all fine.
Thanks!

|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
|POB 60220                 |                              |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
|__________________________|______________________________|

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetance.
(because incompetance really is so much more common than
deliberate malice)- J. Martin in "To Rise Above Principle"

 ~ ___________________________________________________________
 ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
 ~ |__________________________|__RENO___NEVADA_______________|

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.Edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (02/13/90)

In article <3561@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
> I also tried dcache (Dijkstra). I believe it only caches read
> buffers and not write. I would like to cache both read/write
> operations (floppy and hard disks) and have control over
> flushing the buffers (e.g. a 'sync' command).

	Dcache does all of the above. (sync via 'dcache =f' if i remember
correctly, or via the supplied ACC). It can optionally *not* write
through.
--
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu

atari@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Atari-ST Software) (02/14/90)

In article <BAMMI.90Feb12234717@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.Edu> bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.Edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:

>In article <3561@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>> I also tried dcache (Dijkstra). I believe it only caches read
>> buffers and not write. I would like to cache both read/write
>> operations (floppy and hard disks) and have control over
>> flushing the buffers (e.g. a 'sync' command).

>	Dcache does all of the above. (sync via 'dcache =f' if i remember
>correctly, or via the supplied ACC). It can optionally *not* write
>through.

Correct.

However if you want to use dcache on a floppy
you have to be careful (the manual also warns for this):
- Don't change floppies without 'invalidating' and syncing the cache
  for a floppy.
- Formatting a floppy from the desktop with a cache for the
  floppydrive turned on fails.