[comp.sys.atari.st] Need explanation of ICD error-message !!!

cs@walhalla.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Chris Schmidt) (02/12/90)

I own a harddrive with ICD hardware and software.
After a long time without any problems I now get an error-message once in a
while.
The ICD harddisk-driver says SENSE $16 or SENSE $17 in the top-line of
my desktop.
Who knows what this message means and if I'll get into trouble reading my
data from the drive ????

Hope to get any answeres 'cause I don't know what to do ...

	Chris

--
            EUnet-Support-Infoserver  +   EUnet-Support-News
     Universitaet Dortmund, IRB, Postfach 500 500, D-4600 Dortmund 50

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/14/90)

In article <1204@unido.UUCP>, cs@walhalla.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Chris Schmidt) writes:
> I own a harddrive with ICD hardware and software.
> After a long time without any problems I now get an error-message once in a
> while.
> The ICD harddisk-driver says SENSE $16 or SENSE $17 in the top-line of
> my desktop.
> Who knows what this message means and if I'll get into trouble reading my
> data from the drive ????

THIS IS SPECULATION:

The Adaptec/SCSI standard has error codes assigned.  They are returned to
the driver when something goes wrong.  If it were by driver, I would print
them.  Hex 16 and 17 are "NOT ASSIGNED".  But the group 10-18 are for
reporting bad things.  Thus I think 16 and 17 are bad also.

From Adaptec 4000A Manual:
Error codes:
10	ID CRC ERROR
11	Uncorrectabel data error