[comp.sys.atari.st] Right Way?????

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (02/03/90)

Can anyone of you people out there tell me the answer to the following
brainteaser???

	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
 truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
or no anwer.

If you have an answer, please tell me by sending it through e-mail!!
Thank you!

Wayne

wngai@Paris.ics.uci.edu

dparsons@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Daniel Parsons) (02/03/90)

In article <25C9E532.8848@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
>your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
>is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
>alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
>Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
>Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
>one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
> truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
>Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
>or no anwer.

	"If you were from the other tribe, would you tell me that this sign
really does point out the way to safety?"

If the safe path is path A, and the sign points down path A:
A truth-teller will say no, as he realizes the liar would lie.
A liar would also say no, as he would have to lie.

If the safe path is A, and the sign points down B:
A truth-teller will say yes, and a liar would also say yes.

	Whichever answer comes up, take it at it's opposite meaning.  In this
situation you are combining a truth with a lie, which gives a lie, just as
1 * -1 = -1.  Hope this helps.

                                                            A  A  A  A
  . . . . .                                                -=--=--=--=-
.           .   @@//////////////@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|-^--^--^--^-\,,
 .       . . .:.@//////////////@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|-v--v--v--v-/``
   . . .            The Mighty Mace of Self-Destruction    -=--=--=--=-
                                                            V  V  V  V
                                  Lord Daniel, dparsons@jarthur.claremont.edu

gefagan@uokmax.uucp (Geoffrey Edward Fagan) (02/06/90)

In article <25C9E532.8848@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>Can anyone of you people out there tell me the answer to the following
>brainteaser???
>
>	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
>your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
>is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
>alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
>Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
>Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
>one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
> truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
>Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
>or no anwer.
>
>If you have an answer, please tell me by sending it through e-mail!!
>Thank you!
>

>Wayne
>
>wngai@Paris.ics.uci.edu

Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
"Do you suggest the left path?"

Geoffrey Fagan (gefagan@uokmax.uucp)

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb5.181710.17028@uokmax.uucp> gefagan@uokmax.uucp (Geoffrey Edward Fagan) writes:
>In article <25C9E532.8848@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>>Can anyone of you people out there tell me the answer to the following
>>brainteaser???
>>
>>	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
>>your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
>>is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
>>alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
>>Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
>>Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
>>one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
>> truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
>>Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
>>or no anwer.
>
>Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
>gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
>leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
>"Do you suggest the left path?"

At which point the crummy Infocom parser chokes, the game responds "I don't
know how to 'YOU'", your machine locks, your harddrive fries, your power-
supply explodes, the carpeting catches fire, you inhale noxious fumes from
burning polyesters, and you die thinking, "Gee, I coulda had a life..."

Why is this cross-posted to comp.sys.atari.st anyway??
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

sfellows@csm9a.UUCP (5 CR) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb5.181710.17028@uokmax.uucp>, gefagan@uokmax.uucp (Geoffrey Edward Fagan) writes:
> In article <25C9E532.8848@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
> >	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
> >your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
> >is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
> >alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
> >Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
> >Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
> >one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
> > truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
> >Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
> >or no anwer.
> >Wayne
>
> Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
> gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
> leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
> "Do you suggest the left path?"
> Geoffrey Fagan (gefagan@uokmax.uucp)

Geoff, your getting to be like Chris.  Why not hose
both tribes and then take either path.

Anyway, the correct question is:

To any one of the two tribesman:
  Which path would the other tribesman say is the safest path?

Then take whatever path the tribesman DID NOT say was the safest.
Why?  If the tribesman you ask is the one who lies, then he will
give the the opposite of the other tribesman answer (the  answer being
the correct path).
      If the tribesman you ask tells the truth, then he will give
you the wrong answer, because he is giving the liar's answer which is
wrong.

That will be 100 gold , please.  Pay the dragon at the door as you leave.

Steven B. Fellows
sfellows@csm9a.colorado.edu

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/07/90)

In article <487b8506.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>In article <1990Feb5.181710.17028@uokmax.uucp> gefagan@uokmax.uucp (Geoffrey Edward Fagan) writes:
>>Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
>>gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
>>leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
>>"Do you suggest the left path?"

>Why is this cross-posted to comp.sys.atari.st anyway??
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>--
>>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

Who else could figure it out??  Probably a good call.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

mandel@granite.cr.bull.com (Mark Mandel) (02/07/90)

>>>Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
>>>gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
>>>leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
>>>"Do you suggest the left path?"
>>Why is this cross-posted to comp.sys.atari.st anyway??
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Who else could figure it out??  Probably a good call.

Naah.  Whoever cross-posted it has been watching too many old movies
on TV:  John Wayne in Africa in HATARI, and Dick Van Dyke with a
Cockney accent in MARY POPPINS ("'ATARI")!

  [[  Coffee and aspirin:  breakfast of champions!  ]]
--

	-- Mark Mandel          (InterNet: Mandel@granite.cr.bull.com)

 /* My employer is not responsible for anything I say, do, think, or eat. */

schwuchow@uniol.UUCP (Michael Schwuchow) (02/07/90)

gefagan@uokmax.uucp (Geoffrey Edward Fagan) writes:

>In article <25C9E532.8848@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>>Can anyone of you people out there tell me the answer to the following
>>brainteaser???
>>
>>	Ok, you are in a Jungle and it is getting dark. You must find
>>your way out of the jungle.  In the Jungle lived two tribes, one tribe
>>is good and always tells the truth while the other tribe is bad and
>>alway tells lies.  You are on a dirty path and came upon a Y-intersection.
>>Right in front of you is a sign pointing right and reads "This way to
>>Safty------->".  Behind the sign is a native, You can only ask him
>>one question with a yes or no Answer to determine if the native is telling the
>> truth or lie and determine which way is the right way out of the jungle.
>>Remember you are Allow to ask only one question and it must have a yes
>>or no anwer.
>>
>>If you have an answer, please tell me by sending it through e-mail!!
>>Thank you!
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>wngai@Paris.ics.uci.edu

>Ok, grab the native.  Grab your elephant gun.  Place the business end of the
>gun against the skull of the native.  State "I need to know if this path
>leads to safety and I'm gonna take you with me to find out." Finally, ask,
>"Do you suggest the left path?"

>Geoffrey Fagan (gefagan@uokmax.uucp)

I have a better solution:
Look at your map and choose the way , which is safe.
Beside you can try to chat a little about cultur, society, and logic with
the native. Although it might be boring only to hear always 'yes' or 'no'.

Michael

ars3_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Aaron Sher) (02/13/90)

Try: Which path would a member of the other tribe suggest?
Then: Go the other way.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/15/90)

Yer in a Jungle, it's getting dark, you see a signpost and a native...

You ask him if his name is Sam Tramiel, and if he says yes, you don't believe
a word he says, and take the opposite path from whatever he says, to safety..

BobR

schwuchow@uniol.UUCP (Michael Schwuchow) (02/16/90)

Ask: Is this the way to your home?
Clue: Take the way to his/her "home".