[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disk Defragger

adp1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Andrew Pollard) (02/08/90)

Hello,
 I would like to know if there is a Public Domain Hard Disk Defragger available
for the ST. If so, from where can it be obtained?
 Reply by an article, or email me.....

Thanks, Andrew.

                       adp1@uk.ac.reading.cs.rosemary
                        Andrew.Pollard@uk.ac.reading

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/16/90)

In article <2045@onion.reading.ac.uk>, adp1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Andrew Pollard) writes:
> Hello,
>  I would like to know if there is a Public Domain Hard Disk Defragger available
> for the ST. If so, from where can it be obtained?
>  Reply by an article, or email me.....
>
> Thanks, Andrew.

>                        adp1@uk.ac.reading.cs.rosemary
>                         Andrew.Pollard@uk.ac.reading

When I first got my hard drive, I found a pd defragger on a local BBS.  I read
the doc file and it suggested BACKUPS and more BACKUPS before running a program
which is supposed to check the structure of the disk and possibly fix it before
doing any defragging.  I backed up all 3 partitions, and ran the checker, and
it said my hard drive had link problems or some such.  Well, I ran the
defragger anyway and it trashed my partition.  I restored the partition, and
the next day I want to MicroTyme and bought Hard Drive Trubo Kit from Michtron.
It also had a chkdsk, but aside from some blocks that were marked as bad when
the drive was originally formatted, it found no errors.  The manual tat came
with it assured me that the program had been written so that in the worst case,
I would lose very little data if something went wrong.  I still had my
back-ups, so I defragged my partitions.  30 meg in less than 15 minutes, it was
awesome!  I run the check portion and the defrag portion about every other
week.  I've been doing this for about 6 months without a SINGLE problem.  Twice
I have had the checkdisk report a disk error, and both times it fixed them
without any data loss.

The moral is, PD defraggers are risky (IMHO).  I know my exerience with this is
limited to only two packages, but I can't say enough good things about how the
product I purchased works.  And I pulled the PD defragger to my trashcan 6
months ago and haven't missed it.  HDTK was money well spent!

BTW, it also backs up your hard drive in one of three ways, and it comes with a
disk cache too.  (I don't use the cache much, because I only have 1 meg and
can't afford to allocate enough memory to make the cache worthwhile...)

	       ____
                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead
               / /_/ /_/ /_/        Miami University
                                      Oxford, Ohio
	     If it looks like I said it, I probably did...
	  I'm graduating in May as a Systems Analysis Major!
			Anybody wanna hire me?