[comp.sys.atari.st] New Atari ST keyboard

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (01/30/90)

In article <1129@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:

>   I know this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone has the
>canonical list of replacement keyboards for the ST.  I'd like to put the
>beast in a new box, get one of those cute curly cables for the keyboard,
>and get a real keyboard.
>   If anyone knows of a replacement, or anyone has done one, please tell
>me.  If there are sufficient replies and/or requests for info, I'll summarize.
>   Thanx in advance.

Well, there aren't any REAL replacement keyboards for the ST.  You can
buy those awful spring-things to stiffen up the keyboard, but they don't
work.

I've been kicking the idea around of building a new keyboard with REAL
key mechs (like the Mega and STacy have) for my 520.  It's only an idea,
but seems quite feasible.  Of course, I'd have to make my computer into
a detached-keyboard type (but I need the extra room for upgrades
anyways).  I'd also make some fundamental changes, like removing the
slant to the function keys (their shape is impractical and a waste of
space) and moving the joystick ports to the external keyboard itself,
thereby cutting down the number of wires going to the motherboard from
22 to about 8.

How do people feel about such a thing?  I'm surprised it has not been
done yet.  From what I hear, quite a few people would like something
better than this rubber crap we use now.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: clf3678@rit.isc
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        .edu
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (02/12/90)

In article <2048@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:

> Well, there aren't any REAL replacement keyboards for the ST.  You can
> buy those awful spring-things to stiffen up the keyboard, but they don't
> work.
>
> I've been kicking the idea around of building a new keyboard with REAL
> ...stuff removed...
>
> How do people feel about such a thing?  I'm surprised it has not been
> done yet.  From what I hear, quite a few people would like something
> better than this rubber crap we use now.

Diverse Data Products of Florida (800) 662-8662 is bringing out a $60 box in
March that allows you to connect any IBM AT style keyboard you like to the
ST.  If you're interested, you might want to check them out.  There are cer-
tainly plenty of options and lots of better keyboards in the PC world.

They're working on software right now to make sure it works with PC-Ditto
and Spectre.  Personally, I decided to pass on it for two reasons:

(1) it ties up the MIDI port, which I need, strange as it may seem, for...
    you guessed it... MIDI!

(2) you can't disconnect and remove the Mega keyboard, because it's still
    needed to supply the intelligent keyboard chip, and handle the mouse
    and joystick ports.

Your needs may differ from mine.  I'd certainly like a better keyboard.  I'm
just not willing to give up my MIDI ports, serial port, parallel port, DMA
port, etc. to get it.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/13/90)

>In article <2048@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>
>> Well, there aren't any REAL replacement keyboards for the ST.  You can
>> buy those awful spring-things to stiffen up the keyboard, but they don't
>> work.
>>
>> I've been kicking the idea around of building a new keyboard with REAL
>> ...stuff removed...
>>
>> How do people feel about such a thing?  I'm surprised it has not been
>> done yet.  From what I hear, quite a few people would like something
>> better than this rubber crap we use now.

This may sound strange, but I personally, like the keyboard on my 1040ST
much better than the keyboards which come standard with an IBM AT, PS/2,
or (much worse) PC.

One of the things I learned in High School was how to touch-type.  My
fastest typing to date was 80+ words per minute on a professional
desk-top-publishing workstation.  (I don't recall the make.)  This
had a keyboard so sensitive that you could almost type on it by
blowing on the keys!

The keyboard on the ST isn't as nice as this, of course, but I can still
get a respectable 45-50 wpm while typing on it.  My only real complaint
about the ST keyboard is that the keys seem slightly farther apart
than others, but that is something one's fingers quickly get used to.

On an IBM, for comparison, I have NEVER hit faster than about 20-25 wpm.
The reason is that you must press the keys so far down before getting
a character.  When you push it all the way down it gets the further
resistance as the switch is activated.  This may be fine for those who
don't do much typeing, but if you have been trained to touch-type, your
fingers want to move to the next key as soon as they have hit the top
of the current key.  That is, if they don't have to push the key all
the way down, they can move to the next key faster, resulting in better
typing times.

Of couse this is all just my personal opinion and (from much of what is
seen on the net) there are many of you who don't agree with me.

This also really has nothing to do with the creation of replacement
keyboards.  Replacement keyboards are a good idea since they allow
the user to choose the one he wants.  (For example, there are some
really good touch typing keyboards for the IBM but they tend to be
pretty expensive.)

If you don't agree with me, that's fine; I just thought it was time
to get an alternate opinion on the net and say to the people at
Atari that there is someone (me) who does like their keyboard.

Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (02/13/90)

The biggest problem for me with the ST keyboards is that the gap between
the keys is too small; a problem which Atari has solved with the keyboards
on the Stacy and the new TT machines.

--

andrewm@atreus.uucp (Andrew Moizer) (02/15/90)

In article <20795@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>>In article <2048@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>>
>>> Well, there aren't any REAL replacement keyboards for the ST.  You can
>>> buy those awful spring-things to stiffen up the keyboard, but they don't
>>> work.
>
>This may sound strange, but I personally, like the keyboard on my 1040ST
>much better than the keyboards which come standard with an IBM AT, PS/2,
>or (much worse) PC.

I must concur.  I like the light touch of the ST keyboard.  I can also touch type
and find some of the IBM keyboards (especially the 'XT') type terrible to use.  I
also don't like the click that so many people seem to require.

About the only improvement would be some marking of the 'home' keys (f & j) as I
sometimes get going 'out of sync'

 for what it's worth
	  Andrew

NO .sig yet.  Standard disclaimers apply
Robert Andrews
Bell-Northern Research
{uunet!attcan!}utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!titan!randrews <- haven't tried this yet

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (02/16/90)

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) writes:

>In article <2048@ultb.isc.rit.edu> clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>>
>> Well, there aren't any REAL replacement keyboards for the ST.  You can
>> buy those awful spring-things to stiffen up the keyboard, but they don't
>> work.

Try a German ST magazine, they're full of it (REALLY).

>> I've been kicking the idea around of building a new keyboard with REAL
>> ...stuff removed...
>>
>> How do people feel about such a thing?  I'm surprised it has not been
>> done yet.  From what I hear, quite a few people would like something
>> better than this rubber crap we use now.

>Diverse Data Products of Florida (800) 662-8662 is bringing out a $60 box in
>March that allows you to connect any IBM AT style keyboard you like to the
[..]

The German magazine mc did a replacement that was 100 % compatible,
way back (say -88 ..). The idea is to

	-1 Take a very hard look at the ST circuit diagram,
	   note down the keyboard matrix, connections to
	   the IOContl etc.

	-2 Build a new keyboard matrix with REAL keys, connect
	   to original keyboard controller etc.

There you are. It involves taking the thing completely apart, though.
You should be able to buy the circuit diagram (The local dealer
here carries it in his catalogue).

All the boxes that connect to the MIDI port are a loss, in my
opinion, for the reasons noted by Mark. Anyway, is there a way
to get the `both SHIFT keys are pressed' kind of data out from
a PC keyboard and into the ST MIDI/serial port ??????
(I once saw a program that needed this key-combination).

I will be adding a new keyboard to my ST (right after the
harddisk and the 2MB exta memory, sigh).

	Jens

mark@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Mark Boyd) (02/16/90)

I'm the person who adapted a DEC keyboard to the ST. I did it because
I wanted a better keyboard that retained the DEC layout. I also do
stuff with PC's and I seriously considered using an extended PC keyboard.

There would not be a problem with shift keys or the alt key or whatever.
The ST, in many ways, copies the PC. The keyboard is one of those ways!
PC keyboards and Atari keyboards send similar scan codes. They send those
codes whenever a key is pressed and whenever it is released. No problems
there. The problem is in the interface between the keyboard and the PC.
It requires extra circuitry to interface, while the DEC keyboard does
not. On the other hand, the DEC keyboard doesn't distinguish between
the two shift keys. Big deal.

	Mark Boyd
	mark@ccvr1.ncsu.edu