[comp.sys.atari.st] Neodesk trashcan accessory

focke@gmdzi.UUCP (Stefan Focke) (02/12/90)

Hello,

can anyone tell what this accessory is good for?

Thanks

    Stefan

Stefan Focke                             Tel. 02241-14-2265
GMD-Z2.W                                 e-mail: focke@gmdzi.uucp
Postfach 1240

5205 St. Augustin 1

BGB100@psuvm.psu.edu (Bruce Blanar) (02/15/90)

"Neodesk trashcan accessory"?  I've never heard of it and I use Neodesk
all the time.  Is this something in a newer version?

 __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
|__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
|__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM.bitnet     |                      -Rush
                voice: (814)862-8036    |

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/15/90)

In article <2015@gmdzi.UUCP> focke@gmdzi.UUCP (Stefan Focke) writes:
>Hello,
>
>can anyone tell what this accessory is good for?
>
>Thanks
>
>    Stefan

It gives you a recoverable trashcan with Neodesk 2.05 and later.  When you
delete files, you can recover them later.

You install a new trashcan icon (included in the package) by dragging the
trashcan.acc to the desktop (they recommend removing the old trashcan icon so
you don't get confused), and whenever you delete a file, it puts it into a sort
of limbo; a trashcan.dat (or some such) hidden file is written to that disk,
and you can recover 'at any time' the file(s) in question.  Works very similar
to the Mac trashcan; note that when you "delete" the file it'll still take disk
space.  Also, if you run ICD's Cleanup or Tuneup or (I imagine) Hard Disk Sentry
on a disk that has "deleted" files, it'll muff things up.

Mike

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/16/90)

In article <90045.192605BGB100@psuvm.psu.edu>, BGB100@psuvm.psu.edu (Bruce Blanar) writes:
> "Neodesk trashcan accessory"?  I've never heard of it and I use Neodesk
> all the time.  Is this something in a newer version?
>
>  __   __   __   Bruce Blanar            |"Everybody need a mood lifter,
> |__) | _  |__)  Penn State University   | Everybody need reverse polarity."
> |__).|__|.|__). BGB100@PSUVM.bitnet     |                      -Rush
>                 voice: (814)862-8036    |

Neotrash is a recoverable trashcan accessory.  It replaces the trashcan on
Neodesk 2.05 or higher versions only.  It was distributed by Gribnif as
"freeware" as a 'gift' to it's users.  At first I thought, "Great! now it will
be just like the black hole on the NeXT!"  But upon reading the documentation,
I found out that it IS like the black hole on the NeXT.  What that means is
that you have to go through two steps to delete something.  When you drag an
item to the trashcan, it removes the entry from the directory, and stores it in
a hidden file on the root of the disk that the file was deleted from.  It keeps
the bytes on the disk that are used by the file marked as used so they don't
get overwritten.  Then if you want to recover a file you just double click on
the trashcan and select it and click on recover.

There are three drawbacks to this:

1)  Your trashcan fills up real quick, and the new trashcan isn't a real
replacement for the old trashcan.  (If you drag an icon from the desktop to the
trashcan, it will try to actually delete that item.  Bit it IS recoverable).

2)  Since the clusters are marked as used, but are not assigned to a file,
programs that check the structure of the disks will report errors, and
optimizers will TRASH the disk.

3)  The files still take up valuable space on your hard drive.

Still, it IS freeware, and some of you may be interested in using it, so I will
be posting it tonight to comp.binaries.atari.st.  (If I get time...)

I just wonder why they didn't make it easier and just hide the files that have
been deleted....

	       ____
                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead
               / /_/ /_/ /_/        Miami University
                                      Oxford, Ohio
	     If it looks like I said it, I probably did...
	  I'm graduating in May as a Systems Analysis Major!
			Anybody wanna hire me?