[comp.sys.atari.st] zoo problems

wao@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.a.oswald) (02/13/90)

Has anyone on the net successfully unpacked a zoo file
(anything.zoo) using any of the available zoo programs?
I have down loaded several .zoo files using XMODEM and
KERMIT and have tried to unpack them using several ZOO
programs (booz for example). Nothing works. I always
get a CRC error.

Thanks
Bill wao@cbnewsm.att.com
     wao@aloft.att.com

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (02/14/90)

In article <9221@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>, wao@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.a.oswald) writes:
> Has anyone on the net successfully unpacked a zoo file
> (anything.zoo) using any of the available zoo programs?
> I have down loaded several .zoo files using XMODEM and
> KERMIT and have tried to unpack them using several ZOO
> programs (booz for example). Nothing works. I always
> get a CRC error.
>
> Thanks
> Bill wao@cbnewsm.att.com
>      wao@aloft.att.com

I originally got zoo from terminator (the file zoobin.arc, if I recall) and
have had very few problems...and these problems have been caused by doing a
file transfer in the wrong mode.  A typical sequence for me might be:

ftp a file from an internet site to the local VAX
kermit the file from VAX to ST (using Uniterm)
unzoo the file

As long as I remember to use binary as the type, things come out OK.  For the
FTP part, this usually means SET TYPE I; on the VAX end of Kermit, it's SET
FILE TYPE BINARY.  In Uniterm, binary is an option on the Kermit dialog box.
One check that helps when FTPing - the number of bytes transferred should be
equal to the filesize (if the host lists sizes in bytes, e.g.Unix).  If the
counts don't match, you _will_ get CRC errors.

Hope this helps - feel free to email with questions.

Max J.

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/15/90)

In article <9221@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>, wao@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.a.oswald,alc,) writes:
>Has anyone on the net successfully unpacked a zoo file
>(anything.zoo) using any of the available zoo programs?
>I have down loaded several .zoo files using XMODEM and
>KERMIT and have tried to unpack them using several ZOO
>programs (booz for example). Nothing works. I always
>get a CRC error.
>
>Thanks
>Bill wao@cbnewsm.att.com
>     wao@aloft.att.com

I have done so.  I first used booz to unpack zoo.ttp, which I drive using
Arcshell 2.?.  Worked fine for me, perhaps xmodem and kermit are the problem.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/16/90)

In article <9221@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> wao@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.a.oswald,alc,) writes:
>Has anyone on the net successfully unpacked a zoo file
>(anything.zoo) using any of the available zoo programs?
>I have down loaded several .zoo files using XMODEM and
>KERMIT and have tried to unpack them using several ZOO
>programs (booz for example). Nothing works. I always
>get a CRC error.

Sure, many.  Never had a problem.  There are two ways to do it.
One is to make sure that your file transfer protocol handles
full 8 bit bytes.  Many are oriented to handling only graphic
characters (94 or 95 or so).  The other, which I use, is to
"uuencode" the file first, then "uudecode" it at the other end.
This is the choice I use.  I have zoo on the Atari ST and the
PC and UNIX system at the office.

The uu-encoder and decoders that I like best are UUE and UUD by
J-J.Dumas.  His code is highly reliable and overcomes some of
the difficulties of certain notorious gateways between BiTNET,
and UseNet and InterNet.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET