[comp.sys.atari.st] Tick-tick-tick-CRASH! is not dead in TOS 1.4

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (01/31/90)

From article <22199@mimsy.umd.edu>, by bane@mimsy.umd.edu (John R. Bane):
> The dreaded keyboard-repeat-and-lock crash bug is apparently not gone in TOS
> 1.4.  For those of you who haven't seen it before, what happens is after
> several minutes of fairly steady typing in an editor (I use Word Writer),
> the keyboard suddenly starts slowly retyping the last seven or so keys you
> typed, over and over again.  After about 10 repeats, your program crashes.

This is similar to various bugs which many people have encountered with
First Word Plus.  (No coincidence, probably.  I understand that both
Word Writer and First Word Plus were written by the same outfit - GST in
the UK.)

We used to get the 'repeat then crash' a lot with Wordplus v2.  With UK
version v3.14 we now mostly get a simple freeze - the program just seems
to stop accepting keyboard & mouse input, and the only way out is to
reboot.  GST say it's something inside TOS (or GEMDOS or whatever layer
it might be), so I was rather hoping the problem might go away with TOS
1.4.

Does anyone have any information on what the problem might be?  It's
frustrating, because there doesn't seem to be any way of replicating the
problem.  People can go for months without it striking, and then have it
happen twice in a day.  (Sunspots??? :-) )

For what it's worth, it hasn't happened to me so often since I installed
Turbo ST (the software blitter, not the acceleration board Turbo 16),
but it has happened a couple of times.  It has happened to a wide range
of people where I work, from techies to novices, from hunt 'n peckers to
touch typists.

Does anyone know of other programs where similar things happen?  I
recall some messages a while ago about WordPerfect hanging, but ours has
been OK.

I'm waiting for the bug to strike while I'm running Wordplus from within
NeoDesk, so I can try sending a few wind_update() calls.  Would this do
any good?

Thanks,

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (02/02/90)

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:

| GST say it's something inside TOS (or GEMDOS or whatever layer
| it might be), so I was rather hoping the problem might go away with TOS
| 1.4.

Now why doesn't that surprise me?  Not to bash GST, but I have found
that a lot of problems similar to this are a result of bad programming
practices.  Not intentional, but just because the developer wasn't
aware of some restriction or another.  It's all too easy to blame TOS.

I would like to know exactly how the GST products get their keyboard
input, in gory detail.  *IF* I knew that, then I might be able to
figure out what causes the problem.  I strongly suspect that the
problem is caused by  mixing input modes between AES/VDI/GEMDOS/BIOS.
That has been known to produce results like this.  If it is _not_ that,
then there is a good chance that it _is_ a bug in TOS, and I want to
fix it!!!

| People can go for months without it striking, and then have it
| happen twice in a day.  (Sunspots??? :-) )

Yep, sounds a lot like the ol' cosmic rays.  It is really unfortunate that
this particular bug is not easily reproducible.  Of course, if it were,
it would probably have been fixed long ago... :-/

| I'm waiting for the bug to strike while I'm running Wordplus from within
| NeoDesk, so I can try sending a few wind_update() calls.  Would this do
| any good?

While you're at it, don't forget to sprinkle the chicken's blood on the
keyboard and dance about, chanting at the monitor.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (02/02/90)

In article <2015@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes...
>grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
>
>| GST say it's something inside TOS (or GEMDOS or whatever layer
>| it might be), so I was rather hoping the problem might go away with TOS
>| 1.4.
>
>Now why doesn't that surprise me?  Not to bash GST, but I have found
>that a lot of problems similar to this are a result of bad programming
>practices.  Not intentional, but just because the developer wasn't
>aware of some restriction or another.  It's all too easy to blame TOS.
no fair, Ken, it's not GST's problem.

About a year ago I posted this same problem with Word Perfect Atari.
It too drops into "slow mode" now and then, when it eats up the keyboard
buffer about one key every few seconds, treats the screen as if the
mouse button were stuck down, and if you're lucky lets you (slowly!)
request a save before you have to reboot.

Word Perfect Corp. says it's a problem with TOS.  The net-consensus was
that it's a problem with TOS.  It occurs in numerous GEM programs, such
as Word Perfect and 1ST_WORD+.  It is VERY frustrating, and is one of
the main reasons I bought a PClone recently!  MS-DOSs eats it raw but
at least it gets debugged.

It takes maybe half an hour to an hour running Word Perfect to get the
bug, though I'm sure it would take a lot longer if somebody were trying
to debug it... Now would anyone from Atari like to try to FIX it?

>While you're at it, don't forget to sprinkle the chicken's blood on the
>keyboard and dance about, chanting at the monitor.

Funny, Ken, but that does seem to be about the right way to keep an
application running on the ST!
---
Fred R. Goldstein   goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com
                 or goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com
                    voice:  +1 508 486 7388
(Opinions are the author's own.  Sharing requires permission.)

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (02/07/90)

In article <8040@shlump.nac.dec.com> goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) writes:

>In article <2015@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes...
>>grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
>>
>>| GST say it's something inside TOS (or GEMDOS or whatever layer
>>| it might be), so I was rather hoping the problem might go away with TOS
>>| 1.4.
>>
>>Now why doesn't that surprise me?  Not to bash GST, but I have found
>>that a lot of problems similar to this are a result of bad programming
>>practices.  Not intentional, but just because the developer wasn't
>>aware of some restriction or another.  It's all too easy to blame TOS.
>no fair, Ken, it's not GST's problem.
>
>About a year ago I posted this same problem with Word Perfect Atari.
>It too drops into "slow mode" now and then, when it eats up the keyboard
>buffer about one key every few seconds, treats the screen as if the
>mouse button were stuck down, and if you're lucky lets you (slowly!)
>request a save before you have to reboot.

Just so; this is _definitely_ not a problem restricted to GST products.
As Fred goes on to note, WP Corp. has been aware of The Problem for a
long time; they claim that Atari Corp. has been uncooperative in
helping them track down its source.

Whatever; fact is, there's a real problem here, it's a royal pain in
the *ss, and whether or not it's a bug in TOS is not entirely relevant.
If it is a bug in TOS, then you as well as us should be interested in
getting it fixed as soon as possible (another patch?; at any rate a fix
for TOS 1.8).  If on the other hand it really is a matter of developers
breaking rules, you should be interested in identifying the rule or
rules in question and warning developers of the consequences of
breaking them as soon as possible.  Apparently WP Corp. and GST are
under the mistaken impression that they're not doing anything wrong,
which is making my life miserable, not to mention harming their sales
and ultimately Atari's.

Fortunately, The Problem hasn't hit me in WP for a couple of weeks
(even without the chicken blood and incantations :-).  Prior to that it
seemed like I was getting bitten every other day or so.  I don't have
any more of a clue than anyone else about how to replicate it, but for
what it's worth, I've noticed that The Problem is not unconnected with
mouse movement.  I.e.: If I catch it before it gets out of hand (after
the machine has started to crawl, but before it locks up completely), I
can save my file and exit WP by moving the mouse slightly after each
key press.  Here's the scenario:

1.  Machine slows to a crawl; keystrokes and mouseclicks have an effect
    only seconds after a key is pushed or button clicked.
2.  I hit F7 ("Exit").  Nothing happens.
3.  I move mouse slightly.  "Save file?" dialogue pops us instantly.
4.  I respond with "y".  Nothing happens.
5.  I move mouse slightly.  File is saved, and "Exit?" dialogue pops
    up.
6.  I respond with "y".  Nothing happens... etc.

Does this behaviour suggest anything to anyone?
BBB

--
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Philosophy

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb6.174024.13984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> bright@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Bob Bright) writes:
>1.  Machine slows to a crawl; keystrokes and mouseclicks have an effect
>    only seconds after a key is pushed or button clicked.
>2.  I hit F7 ("Exit").  Nothing happens.
>3.  I move mouse slightly.  "Save file?" dialogue pops us instantly.
>4.  I respond with "y".  Nothing happens.
>5.  I move mouse slightly.  File is saved, and "Exit?" dialogue pops
>    up.
>6.  I respond with "y".  Nothing happens... etc.
>Does this behaviour suggest anything to anyone?
>Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

     Uh... Yeah! Actually, it does, and I don't even own an ST. (SO please:
if my idea is completely off base, sorry for the bandwidth. Please don't
bother with flames.)
     I had a lockup problem not entirely dissimilar with one of my Amiga
systems a while ago, only the "fix" was to pop _any_ diskette out and back
in. The problem turned out to be not software, but a bad CIA chip (Complex
Interface Adaptor; chip that converted disk, serial, keyboard etc output
into something the processor could handle; i.e. an I/O chip) that was
sending noise on the signal lines. Replacing it fixed the problem.
     So here's the question: could this be a similar situation, caused
by excessive RF interference or a bad run of chips? Somebody out there
who likes taking apart their ST systems might want to try improvising
with additional (and removing - see if it happens more) shielding.
                                                     - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (02/12/90)

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:

>From article <22199@mimsy.umd.edu>, by bane@mimsy.umd.edu (John R. Bane):
>> The dreaded keyboard-repeat-and-lock crash bug is apparently not gone in TOS
>> 1.4.  For those of you who haven't seen it before, what happens is after
>> several minutes of fairly steady typing in an editor (I use Word Writer),
>> the keyboard suddenly starts slowly retyping the last seven or so keys you
>> typed, over and over again.  After about 10 repeats, your program crashes.
>>
>This is similar to various bugs which many people have encountered with
>First Word Plus.  (No coincidence, probably.  I understand that both
>Word Writer and First Word Plus were written by the same outfit - GST in
>the UK.)

The bug also occurs in TEMPUS 2.0, so it's not a proprietary GST bug.
It must be a quirk in AES; I don't think it's located in GEMDOS or lower-
level routines for they are documented very well here in Germany, and
someone would have come across the bug if it's been in GEMDOS or BIOS.
Since we have recompiled GEMDOS and BIOS source code, but no AES and
VDI source code, the only people to solve the problem are ATARI US.

I once read a msg related to this problem that stated that you could
escape the deadly repetition of the last few keys by pressing a combination
of SHIFT, CONTROL and ALT keys. This allows for quick saving before system
breakdown.

Claus Brod (sorry, I can not be reached here, but I can read public