[comp.sys.atari.st] Becoming an Official Atari Developer!

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/13/90)

The following are notes about becoming an Official Atari ST Developer in
the United States. I would be interested in hearing from our friends in
Europe about the rules for becoming a developer there. But now on with the
show!!

I called Gail Johnson in early January 1990 to inquire about becoming an Official
Atari ST/TT Developer. I was sent a large envlope withing a week. The envelope
contained a description of the current plan which is a single level plan costing
$250.00. The Developer MUST be developing a COMMERICAL product for the ST. The
Developer MUST submit 3 copies of said product to Atari Corp. the Developer MUST
re-register annually. The packet I received said a LOT about what the Developer
must do, but very little about what the Developer receives for his $250.00.

Basically, all the Developer gets for his $250.00 is some mailing lists from
Atari Corp. And the option of having his products (demos thereof) being distributed
by Atari Corp to all Atari dealers.

The packet did NOT contain any information about what sort of Developer software,
or Developer Documentation would be provided by Atari Corp.

So, I called Gail Johnson to ask about all this. I was told that Atari had multiple
levels of Developers, one of which included the Mark Williams C compiler and cost
$250.00. Another level, which did not include the MWC C compiler was $100.00. As
I currently own, and use, MWC I wanted to sign up for the $100.00 Developer Program.
Gail Johnson informed me that such a program was dropped as of December 31, 1989.
So, as of Jan 1 1990 there is only one Developer Program which costs $250.00.
And it doesn't even include the MWC C compiler. It contains the OLD OLD Alycon
C compiler, which I have heard is VERY VERY bad.

so, my question is Why Did Atari change their Developer programs to eliminate the
lower cost option??

Why did Atari Corp drop the MWC C compiler and start shipping the Alycon compiler??

I had really palnned to sign up as a Developer but now I am having serious doubts. I
don't want the Alycon compiler, and I don't like the $250.00 price tag. I do some part
time C programming at home, and don't plan to market a commerical product. So, where
does that leave me?? Out in the cold I believe.

I wish that Atari Corp would try to help their customers more, and this new DEvelopers
program is not a good way to start a new decade.

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/15/90)

In article <489b42d9.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>The following are notes about becoming an Official Atari ST Developer in
>
>I called Gail Johnson in early January 1990 to inquire about becoming an Official
>Atari ST/TT Developer. I was sent a large envlope withing a week. The envelope
> Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
> AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652
> TCP/IP: covertr@gtephx
> UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!covertr

I had the identical experience recently.. and my opinions
were much the same as Richard's.

Frankly, condidering
the state ATARI is in these days...
Seems more reasonable to make the developer's kit
robust, cheap and thorough.

ATARI needs to attract as many good developer's
as possible.  All i read regarding developer
support is a great sense of frustration and
resultant indignation.

Can ATARI "afford" to be this way?

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/15/90)

In article <489b42d9.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
> So, as of Jan 1 1990 there is only one Developer Program which costs $250.00.
> And it doesn't even include the MWC C compiler. It contains the OLD OLD Alycon
> C compiler, which I have heard is VERY VERY bad.
>
> so, my question is Why Did Atari change their Developer programs to eliminate
> the lower cost option??

The main answer is to squeeze out the non-serious developers.  I doubt that
Atari even broke even at $100 for its new support.

Remember, developers can buy Atari Hardware and the MWC compiler at a discount,
as well.  That plus the "freevies" they thrown in as of late makes it a good
deal, even at $250.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

peters@rodney.enet.dec.com (Don Peters, CTC2-1, DTN 287-3153) (02/15/90)

Subject: Becoming an Official Atari Developer!

Richard E. Covert Comments on becoming an Official Atari Developer:

>I called Gail Johnson in early January 1990 to inquire about becoming an
>Official Atari ST/TT Developer. I was sent a large envlope withing a
>week. The envelope contained a description of the current plan which is a
>single level plan costing $250.00. The Developer MUST be developing a
>COMMERICAL product for the ST. The Developer MUST submit 3 copies of said
>product to Atari Corp. the Developer MUST re-register annually. The
>packet I received said a LOT about what the Developer must do, but very
>little about what the Developer receives for his $250.00.

>Basically, all the Developer gets for his $250.00 is some mailing lists
>from Atari Corp. And the option of having his products (demos thereof)
>being distributed by Atari Corp to all Atari dealers.
  .
  .
  .
>So, as of Jan 1 1990 there is only one Developer Program which costs
>$250.00.  And it doesn't even include the MWC C compiler. It contains the
>OLD OLD Alycon C compiler, which I have heard is VERY VERY bad.

Maybe I can shed some more light on the situation. Like Richard, I was
also confused by Atari's new developer contracts and discussions.
Developers can now get good discounts on Atari hardware, but I didn't
know if I qualified, since, although I was an official developer for 4
years, I had no commercial product. No one in our ST computer club knew
either.

So, a few days ago, I called Charles Cherry, the manager of Developer's
programs at Atari (408-745-2082). Things are still a bit up in the air,
since he has only been on the job for a few months, and he is still
attempting to expand benefits. But here's how things stand so far.

There are now TWO classes of developers - one that is developing a
commercial product(s), and one that is chiefly developing for oneself.
Unfortunately, there are no specific names to attach to these two classes
- they are working on that. For convenience, I'll refer to them as
commercial and non-commercial developers.

For either class, you send in your $250 with a non-disclosure agreement,
and in return you get:

    - a developer software kit supporting the ST, TT, and STe
      . Alcyon C compiler
      . MADMAC assembler
      . Debugger
      . Linker
    - a newsletter subscription
    - online support

If you are a commercial developer, you also get:

    - customer registration address database
    - marketing support

Mark Williams C is not included, but available separately for a
discounted price of $99.

Why become an official commercial developer? Well, mainly because you get
some hefty discounts on Atari hardware, as well as extended marketing
support. Atari is doing this to encourage the generation of new software
products in the marketplace.

You are probably wondering what you need to do to become a commercial
developer. First of all, if you have been a developer, you are
"grandfathered" in, and have no problem. Otherwise you have to apply
fresh, following these guidelines:

    1) You must have a commercial product

    2) Shareware definitely qualifies as a commercial product

    3) Having your program published in some magazine qualifies

    4) Public domain submissions generally don't qualify

    5) If you are just starting, you most likely won't have any product
       yet. In that case, you must submit a business plan, describing the
       product you are working on and the timeframe for release.

Of course, you could try to lie like crazy, pay your $250, and go for the
discounts, but Charles says Atari will periodically review applicants and
remove them from the list of developers if no product appears to be
forthcoming. (I expect policy updates here, since policing this could turn
out to be a nightmare.)

All in all, I got the impression from Charles that Atari was really
serious about its claims of increasing developer support. I know I've
received several developer updates recently, each of good quality. In
fact, I'd say developer support was probably better now than at any time
in the past.

Charles also says to be sure to write him on suggestions. For example, he
recently asked a group of developers what kind of UNIX they wanted on the
TT. In spite of the wide audience, he only received two responses!
Hearing this, I asked if he monitored USENET (where he would get an
earfull). He said that while he didn't, there were others in Atari who
did monitor it (such as Ken Badertscher).

Oh, incidently, I asked him about the developer mailing that I recently
received whereby I got several disks of address data of all the ST buyers
that sent in their warranty cards. He said this was confidential
developer info, and couldn't be given to Atari clubs. On the other hand,
it was OK for the developer to make up mailing labels from these disks,
and for the developer to send out club meeting announcements along with
any product advertisements.

Finally, while I tried to accurately convey the significant points of our
conversation, I no doubt omitted an important thing or two. You may want
to talk to Charles Cherry yourself to clarify some issue. Give him a call
- he seems friendly enough to talk to.

root@irscscm (Admin) (02/16/90)

In article <489b42d9.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
[Some stuff deleted]
>The Developer MUST be developing a COMMERICAL product for the ST. The
>Developer MUST submit 3 copies of said product to Atari Corp. the Developer MUST
>re-register annually.

I think those 3 MUSTs are both to the developer's and Atari's
advantage.

> The packet I received said a LOT about what the Developer
>must do, but very little about what the Developer receives for his $250.00.
>
>Basically, all the Developer gets for his $250.00 is some mailing lists from
>Atari Corp. And the option of having his products (demos thereof) being distributed
>by Atari Corp to all Atari dealers.

Having a mailing list of all Atari ST registered buyers and all
authorized Atari dealers can be a great thing to have for a developer.
And having a demo distributed to dealers sounds like good marketing to
me.

[more stuff deleted]
>And it doesn't even include the MWC C compiler. It contains the OLD OLD Alycon
>C compiler, which I have heard is VERY VERY bad.

Alycon C isn't VERY VERY bad.  It's just not as good as MWC.

[more stuff deleted]
>don't want the Alycon compiler, and I don't like the $250.00 price tag. I do some part
>time C programming at home, and don't plan to market a commerical product. So, where
>does that leave me?? Out in the cold I believe.

It depends on how one looks at it.  I see you as an Atari customer rather
than a developer.

>I wish that Atari Corp would try to help their customers more, and this new DEvelopers
>program is not a good way to start a new decade.

It's a developer's program, not a customer's program.

Marshall Lake
mlake@irscscm.UUCP

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/17/90)

In article <9002141920.AA05746@decwrl.dec.com>, peters@rodney.enet.dec.com (Don Peters, CTC2-1, DTN 287-3153) writes:
> Subject: Becoming an Official Atari Developer!
>
> fresh, following these guidelines:
>
>     1) You must have a commercial product
>
>     2) Shareware definitely qualifies as a commercial product
>
>     3) Having your program published in some magazine qualifies
>
>     4) Public domain submissions generally don't qualify
>
>     5) If you are just starting, you most likely won't have any product
>        yet. In that case, you must submit a business plan, describing the
>        product you are working on and the timeframe for release.
> Finally, while I tried to accurately convey the significant points of our
> conversation, I no doubt omitted an important thing or two. You may want
> to talk to Charles Cherry yourself to clarify some issue. Give him a call
> - he seems friendly enough to talk to.

I agree with Peter, and wish that I could have expressed what I heard from Charles
Cherry as well as Peter did! :-)

But, for you who want to become a registered developer, you have an excellent
opportunity to get published in a new mag called ST JOURNAL. I called Neocept
to ask about WORD UP 3.0 (which I wanted to upgrade to from WordUp 2.), and
the Technical Support guy at Neocept (sorry I didn't write down his name :-( ),
gave me the phone number to ST JOURNAL. I lef the number at home but will post
it later today.

Anyway, ST JOURNAL will publish its preimer issue in march with a cover date of
April. And the best news is that ST JOURNAL is looking for articles. I suggested
a couple of ideas that I am working on, and so I want to try to get published in
ST JOURNAL myself. So, that would qualify me as a Developer according to Peter's
above comments.

I will post a complete message about ST JOURNAL soon.

P.S. After discussing the situation with others on GEnie, I have come to the
conclusion that the $250.00 price is a fair price for the ST Devloper package.
I have talked to other developers who couldn't say much, but they all did agree
that it was worth the money. So, after I get published, or finish a couple more
ShareWare programs, I am going to submit for a Dev. kit.

P.P.S. Anyone interested in some ShareWare PageStream templates for various
AVERY Laser Printer Labels?? I am developing some PgS templates for the entire
line of AVERY Laser Printer labels, as well as some utilities to gather data to
be imported into the labels. For example, I am writing some code to convert the
various disk cataloging datafiles into ASCII files to be imported into 3.5"
and 5.25" AVERY LASER LABELs. Just a few things that I am working on.