[comp.sys.atari.st] The ATARI ELITE ST ORG. of Pittsburgh.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/16/90)

With some trepidation, i dare to rush in.  (Mr Karbowsky, flames to /dev/null.)

More than one person has said to me that they thought this board
(The ATARI ELITE ST ORG. of Pittsburgh) has pirated software.

In the past maybe this was so, maybe not.
Does anyone have some concrete evidence?

Mr D.Karbowsky denies it is so:

In article <4125@cuphub.cup.edu> kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:

	[ nasties deleted ]

 | The Auto-Boss/Atari-Elite ST-BBS is *NOT* a pirate board.  Why would you
 | assume such anyway???

	[ more nasties deleted ]

If this is a prirate board, perhaps it should be shut down.
If not, accusers should stop throwing stones.

Does the board give the impression of being a Pirate Board?
Does it promise expensive software?

Or, I wonder, is there another board in the neighborhood that has
a similar name?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/16/90)

In article <2993@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

>With some trepidation, i dare to rush in.  (Mr Karbowsky, flames to /dev/null.)
>
>More than one person has said to me that they thought this board
>(The ATARI ELITE ST ORG. of Pittsburgh) has pirated software.
>
>In the past maybe this was so, maybe not.
>Does anyone have some concrete evidence?
>
>Mr D.Karbowsky denies it is so:
>
>In article <4125@cuphub.cup.edu> kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:
>
>	[ nasties deleted ]
>
> | The Auto-Boss/Atari-Elite ST-BBS is *NOT* a pirate board.  Why would you
> | assume such anyway???
>
>	[ more nasties deleted ]
>
>If this is a prirate board, perhaps it should be shut down.
>If not, accusers should stop throwing stones.
>

>Does the board give the impression of being a Pirate Board?
>Does it promise expensive software?
>
>Or, I wonder, is there another board in the neighborhood that has
>a similar name?
>

>--
>    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
>	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
>	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
>	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

I believe the confusion was caused by the word ELITE in the name.  Most
pirate boards appear to be normal unless one has 'elite' access.  Then
the pirated programs can be downloaded.  The section of software that is
pirated (on the BBS HD) is usually called the 'elite' section.  You would
be suprised at the number of so-called 'normal' boards that are actually
pirate boards of some degree.  As always, this is IMHO.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/17/90)

In article <2993@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

> With some trepidation, i dare to rush in.  (Mr Karbowsky, flames to /dev/null.)
>
> More than one person has said to me that they thought this board
> (The ATARI ELITE ST ORG. of Pittsburgh) has pirated software.

You know with all of the harping about ST Pirate boards, I asked my Mac friends
at my apartment complex about mac pirate boards.. I noticed that large numbers of
them meet in the apt.
clubhouse and exchange software. They told me that many mac pirate boards have
over 1 GIGABYTE of pirated mac sw ONLINE. So, if you all think that Sters are
the worst pirates in the USA you should call some of those GIGABYTE Mac boards.
Geez, just the hard drives allow would cost about $5,000.

This is all second hand knowledge, and maybe these mac folks were just pulling
my legs (ouch ouch), but anything is possible. I do know that mac people swap
sw more than any others. I am glad that we have a nice quiet PD BBS for our
PHAST Club. it is nicer to be able to sleep at night w/o worrying about
pirated software!!

I do not agree with pirating. But all I use on my ST is MWC, and pageStream
these days anyway.

 views are mine own and are not for sale (they can be leased though, send $5,000
to me and they are all yours :-) )

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652