[comp.sys.atari.st] Monitor advice sought

sajima@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Takahiro Sajima) (02/16/90)

Hi folks,
	I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm new to ST's -
ich bin neu hier.  I'll keep this short.

	I understand that ST monitors come in two flavors - color and
monochrome.  Monochrome has high resolution (good text, but can't run
anything written for the color monitor), and that color has medium (?)
resolution (garbage text - no offense intended.  Has impressive color
graphics).  I'd REALLY hate to have two monitors sitting on my desk.  In
other words, I want a monitor that can handle BOTH color and monochrome
capabilities with a switch to select one of the modes.  On an unrelated
note, if the monitor can also accept TV/VCR signals, that would be nice
too :-).  I heard that someone on this newsgroup is very happy with a
Magnavox monitor; what's the model?  Any other suggestions are
appreciated.

/Taka Sajima
sajima@watsun.cc.columbia.edu

P.S.  I'd also welcome any interesting tidbits, tips, horror stories,
work-arounds, etc.  Thanks.

		    ( ( ( (((( IN STEREO )))) ) ) )

			    Where available

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/17/90)

In article <9002160814.AA13241@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>, sajima@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Takahiro Sajima) writes:

>Hi folks,
>	I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm new to ST's -
>ich bin neu hier.  I'll keep this short.
>
>	I understand that ST monitors come in two flavors - color and
>monochrome.  Monochrome has high resolution (good text, but can't run
>anything written for the color monitor), and that color has medium (?)
>resolution (garbage text - no offense intended.  Has impressive color
>graphics).  I'd REALLY hate to have two monitors sitting on my desk.  In
>other words, I want a monitor that can handle BOTH color and monochrome
>capabilities with a switch to select one of the modes.  On an unrelated
>note, if the monitor can also accept TV/VCR signals, that would be nice
>too :-).  I heard that someone on this newsgroup is very happy with a
>Magnavox monitor; what's the model?  Any other suggestions are
>appreciated.
>
>/Taka Sajima
>sajima@watsun.cc.columbia.edu

E.A. Brown offers two different interface boards that one can use to hook
up a Multi-sync monitor to the ST.  The output for color is superior, the
output for mono is good but not quite as nice as an ST mono (one must
view everything through the color mask, which slightly blurs the mono
image).  Very acceptable though, well worth it if you have the cash for
the monitor itself.  Costs for both are under $100, one is a multi-function
switchbox (drives, monitors, audio & composite outs, etc), the other is
strictly for the multi-sync connection (this one is about $50, I think).

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/19/90)

In article <9002160814.AA13241@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>, sajima@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Takahiro Sajima) writes:

> 	I understand that ST monitors come in two flavors - color and
> monochrome.  Monochrome has high resolution (good text, but can't run
> anything written for the color monitor), and that color has medium (?)
> resolution (garbage text - no offense intended.  Has impressive color
> graphics).  I'd REALLY hate to have two monitors sitting on my desk.  In

The Multisync monitors need an adapter cable, but do COLOR very well, and
MONO quite well. (I biased and prefer Monochrome for MONO; but my friends
ar happy with Multisync).

THen all you need is to switch the switch.

PS. COLOR does very well on text.  Sure better than CGA on IBM.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj