[comp.sys.atari.st] Backup-software

UK14@DKAUNI2.BITNET ("O. Steinmeier") (02/10/90)

Hi!

In  <17829@laurel.athertn.Atherton.COM> <alex | alex@Atherton.COM>
(Alex Leavens) writes:

 (stuff deleted)

Ok, but which program do you suggest? The system-disk you get
when you buy an ATARI harddisk in Germany contains a program
from 'Application Systems Heidelberg' (HDU V1.05), but I'm not
very happy about it. It terminates the backup-process if it detects
a write-error on the current backup-disk - and you can start again.
The same problem occurs, if you try to restore a backup and one of the
disks has a read-error. But if you need a compression program,
saves you only 10 or 20%, you could use it ... (I would
suggest ARC or Zoo for this purpose).
So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

Oliver Steinmeier       (uk14@dkauni2.BITNET)
Waldhornstr. 4-8
D-7500 Karlsruhe 1

UK14@DKAUNI2.BITNET ("O. Steinmeier") (02/15/90)

In <8533@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski)
writes:

> In <"90-02-09-11:06:10.92*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> O. Steinmeier writes:

>>So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
>>harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?

> So you want it to be fast, reliable, and do everything but wash the
  kitchen sink but you don't want to pay for it????  Typical.

I'm a bit surprised about your reaction. A lot of people answered my
request and recommended TURTLE, so I believe it might be really good.

It's true: I want to use a *fast* backup-program, because I would
not like to spend several hours on saving the information on my
80 MB-harddisk. I wrote a backup-program myself a few years ago and
it was not very fast (but reliable).

It's true: The backup program, I'm looking for, should be reliable.
I hope it will never be necessary to use the backup, but if I need it,
the restore-option should work without problems.

It's true: I'm looking for a cheap program. As mentioned before, I
wrote my own program. I also bought two different backup-programs
with my harddisks - both seem to be slow and/or unreliable. Next I
tried to use the BACKUP-command of MS-DOS 4.01 (my PC-SPEED works fine).
It's really fast and seemed to be reliable, but it also has a bug.
It is impossible to save a file which contains a German Umlaut in
it's filename. Instead of storing the file, BACKUP starts to ask
for new disks permanently.

It's NOT true, that I do not want to pay for the 'perfect' backup-
program. I only asked for a cheap program. Why should I ask for an
expensive one? A shareware product is not free, so your reproach is
is surprising (I always pay the registration fee, if I use the
program regularily). Why should I buy an expensive program, if
I could get a cheaper one (or a public domain program), which is
as good as a commercial product?

In my opinion it's ATARI's job to deliver a useful backup program
with their harddisks (the German harddisk-manual only advises
the proud owner to copy important files on disks).

By the way: In the last 4 1/2 years, I bought (!!) a lot of
software for my ATARI! I do *not* support piracy (if you meant this)!
And I usually manage  to clean the kitchen sink myself!

Thanks to those, who gave me helpful hints. And also thanks to
those, who answered to Bob Luneskis mail (Timothy Roeder (yes, it's
Mr. Steinmeier), H.C. Johnson, etc.) - I appreciated your support!

I think we should stop the discussion, it only wastes time and
money (if you would like to continue, email me!).

Oliver Steinmeier
Disclaimer: Everything I wrote might be wrong, even this!
Oliver Steinmeier                     (UK14@DKAUNI2.BITNET)
Waldhornstrasse 4-8
D-7500 Karlsruhe, FRG

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/19/90)

In article <"90-02-14-21:51:56.83*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET>, UK14@DKAUNI2.BITNET ("O. Steinmeier") writes:

> I'm a bit surprised about your reaction. A lot of people answered my
> request and recommended TURTLE, so I believe it might be really good.
>
> It's true: I want to use a *fast* backup-program, because I would
> not like to spend several hours on saving the information on my
> 80 MB-harddisk. I wrote a backup-program myself a few years ago and

Also available is a Meg a Minute backup by Dave Small and Dan Moore.
Two were printed in Start (or ST-log).  Thise sweapt a disk by sector range
to floppies. (This is why they pioneered the Twisted format for TOS disk).

80 MB in 80 minutes to 80-100 disks isn't all that bad (or good).

Cartridge Tape is the answer for 80 Meg and up.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj