[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm metafiles

WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) (02/04/90)

Can someone tell me how to deal with the GEM metafile which Uniterm
produces when one hits Alt-F3? One gets a file which contains the
picture on the graphics screen, but with much better resolution than the
Atari screen (I think something like 4000 pixels horizontal times 3000
vertical, quite appropriate for the laser printer).

I tried to print it on the SLM804 with OUTPUT.PRG and the Diablo
emulator.  I got two identical-looking pages, each showing the picture,
with the expected good resolution, but rather faint.  Why do I get two
pages?

When I try to print directly from Uniterm by selecting 'Printer' rather
than 'Metafile' after hitting Alt-F3, I get an alert box telling me
'Unable to open VDI device'.

What I would really like however is to load the metafile into a graphics
program to be able to modify it before printing (without loss of
resolution of course).  I tried two, Gemdraw and Arabesque.  Both seem
to have difficulties with the range of coordinates.  It looks as if the
high-order bits are just chopped off, so that several parts of the
picture are folded on top of each other.

I would appreciate to hear from people who have succesfully done this
kind of thing.  Do I just have outdated versions of GDOS, OUTPUT and/or
GEMDRAW?  Uniterm and Arabesque are rather up-to-date though.  Is there
anything particular in ASSIGN.SYS one has to pay attention to?   Can
someone recommend a graphics program which can deal with this?

Sorry if this has come up before, I haven't followed this news group in
recent months.

Thanks,
Klaus.
Acknowledge-To: <WACKER@CERNVM>

ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) (02/07/90)

In article <9002040802.AA11879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) writes:

>[...]
>When I try to print directly from Uniterm by selecting 'Printer' rather
>than 'Metafile' after hitting Alt-F3, I get an alert box telling me
>'Unable to open VDI device'.
>[...]
I have the same problem like you ('Unable...'). I have written to Simon Poole,
but I have not got an answer.

Ralph

icsu8053@ming (Craig Pratt) (02/08/90)

In article <286@blnosz.UUCP> ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) writes:
>In article <9002040802.AA11879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) writes:
>>
>>[...]
>>When I try to print directly from Uniterm by selecting 'Printer' rather
>>than 'Metafile' after hitting Alt-F3, I get an alert box telling me
>>'Unable to open VDI device'.
>>[...]
>I have the same problem like you ('Unable...'). I have written to Simon Poole,
>but I have not got an answer.
>
>Ralph

I have used UniTerm to print and save Tek MetaFiles with no problem. It seems to
work depending upon which GDOS you're using.  Of course, the printer and
meta.sys file must be in your assign.sys file.  But, I have found that with
EXACTLY the same assign.sys file, UniTerm would print with my G+Plus but would
NOT work with the ACM GDOS included with the Gemini desktop.  Don't ask me why,
it's a mystery to me.  By the way, I finally discovered a program to convert
the .GEM files produced by UniTerm into the standard .GEM format.  If there are
enough requests I will post it to comp.binaries.atari.st.  It can be found on
GEnie as well.

Craig Pratt
BitNet: Craig.Pratt@msu3.oscs.montana.edu
GEnie: C.PRATT4
"The ships hung in the air in much the same way that bricks don't."
  Douglas Adams, _The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

agray@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Andy Gray) (02/09/90)

In article <286@blnosz.UUCP> ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) writes:
>In article <9002040802.AA11879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) writes:
>>[...]
>>When I try to print directly from Uniterm by selecting 'Printer' rather
>>than 'Metafile' after hitting Alt-F3, I get an alert box telling me
>>'Unable to open VDI device'.
>>[...]
>I have the same problem like you ('Unable...'). I have written to Simon Poole,
>but I have not got an answer.

Try increasing the size of your system buffer.  Uniterm needs a lot of
system memory to create those metafiles.  I had a lot of problems until I
increased mine to 200K or so.

						-- Andy

      Andy Gray                     agray@jarthur.claremont.edu
      Platt Campus Center           agray@jarthur.UUCP
      Harvey Mudd College           ...uunet!jarthur!agray
      Claremont, CA  91711          agray@HMCVAX.BITNET

ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) (02/11/90)

In article <3095@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu8053@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Craig Pratt) writes:
>In article <286@blnosz.UUCP> ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) writes:
>>In article <9002040802.AA11879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) writes:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>When I try to print directly from Uniterm by selecting 'Printer' rather
>>>than 'Metafile' after hitting Alt-F3, I get an alert box telling me
>>>'Unable to open VDI device'.
>>>[...]
>>I have the same problem like you ('Unable...'). I have written to Simon Poole,
>>but I have not got an answer.
>>
>>Ralph
>
>I have used UniTerm to print and save Tek MetaFiles with no problem. It seems to
>work depending upon which GDOS you're using.  Of course, the printer and
>meta.sys file must be in your assign.sys file.  But, I have found that with
>EXACTLY the same assign.sys file, UniTerm would print with my G+Plus but would
>NOT work with the ACM GDOS included with the Gemini desktop.  Don't ask me why,
>it's a mystery to me.  By the way, I finally discovered a program to convert
>the .GEM files produced by UniTerm into the standard .GEM format.  If there are
>enough requests I will post it to comp.binaries.atari.st.  It can be found on
>GEnie as well.
>
>Craig Pratt
>BitNet: Craig.Pratt@msu3.oscs.montana.edu
>GEnie: C.PRATT4
>"The ships hung in the air in much the same way that bricks don't."
>  Douglas Adams, _The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Look please, this is my assign.sys for G+Plus; is there any mistake ?

Pfad=C:\GEMSYS.SYS
;
01p SCREEN.SYS
;
02p SCREEN.SYS
ATSS10.FNT
ATSS12.FNT
ATSS18.FNT
ATSS24.FNT
ATTR10.FNT
ATTR12.FNT
ATTR18.FNT
ATTR24.FNT
ATTP10.FNT
;
03p SCREEN.SYS
ATSS10CG.FNT
ATSS12CG.FNT
ATSS18CG.FNT
ATSS24CG.FNT
ATTR10CG.FNT
ATTR12CG.FNT
ATTR18CG.FNT
ATTR24CG.FNT
ATTP10CG.FNT
;
04p SCREEN.SYS
ATSS10.FNT
ATSS12.FNT
ATSS18.FNT
ATSS24.FNT
ATTR10.FNT
ATTR12.FNT
ATTR18.FNT
ATTR24.FNT
ATTP10.FNT
;
21r SLM804.SYS
ATSS10LS.FNT
ATSS12LS.FNT
ATSS18LS.FNT
ATSS24LS.FNT
ATTR10LS.FNT
ATTR12LS.FNT
ATTR18LS.FNT
ATTR24LS.FNT
ATTP10LS.FNT
;
31r META.SYS
ATSS10MF.FNT
ATSS12MF.FNT
ATSS18MF.FNT
ATSS24MF.FNT
ATTR10MF.FNT
ATTR12MF.FNT
ATTR18MF.FNT
ATTR24MF.FNT
ATTP10MF.FNT

icsu8053@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Craig Pratt) (02/14/90)

In article <287@blnosz.UUCP> ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) writes:
>In article <3095@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu8053@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Craig Pratt) writes:
>>>I have the same problem like you ('Unable...'). I have written to Simon Poole
>>>but I have not got an answer.
>>>Ralph
>>I have used UniTerm to print and save Tek MetaFiles with no problem. It seems
>>to work depending upon which GDOS you're using.  Of course, the printer and
>>meta.sys file must be in your assign.sys file.  But, I have found that with

 [some of my stuff deleted]

>Look please, this is my assign.sys for G+Plus; is there any mistake ?

Sorry to post this here but mail bounced and bounced HIGH.

>Pfad=C:\GEMSYS.SYS

I don't know if this is a typo but it should read: PATH=C:\GEMSYS.SYS

>01p SCREEN.SYS

> 02p SCREEN.SYS
> ATSS10.FNT
 [ bunch of font names deleted ]
> ATTP10.FNT
> 03p SCREEN.SYS
> ATSS10CG.FNT
 [ more fonts deleted ]
> ATTP10CG.FNT
> 04p SCREEN.SYS
> ATSS10.FNT
 [ yes, that's right, more fonts deleted ]
> ATTP10.FNT
> 21r SLM804.SYS
> ATSS10LS.FNT
 [ more fonts with 1:1:1:1 correspondance ]
> ATTP10LS.FNT
> 31r META.SYS
> ATSS10MF.FNT
 [ ... ]
> ATTP10MF.FNT

Why do you have this last set of fonts here?  I've never seen that done before.
Anyway, the only real problem UniTerm should be giving you is if it can't find
META.SYS or SLM804.SYS.  These must be located in C:\GEMSYS.SYS\ or bad things
will happen.  It also doesn't hurt to tell G+Plus to load ASSIGN.SYS before
running UniTerm.  If none of these suggestions do the trick, you should
probably get in touch with a GDOS expert.  There's more on your side of the
pond than on mine!

By the way, the metafile converter might show up soon.  I had to figure out
how to post to binaries.  It's always difficult the first time.

Craig Pratt
BitNet: Craig.Pratt@msu3.oscs.montana.edu

"The ships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't."
Douglas Adams, _The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_

WACKER@CERNVM.BITNET (Klaus Wacker) (02/19/90)

A while ago I posted several questions about the metafiles (or, more
general, output to VDI device) Uniterm produces when hitting Alt-F3.
One of my problems was that I couldn't get direct output to the printer,
it would always tell me 'unable to open VDI device'.  Several people
suggested that lack of system space might the problem.  I never believed
them, after all, I already had 600 kbytes system space.  After I started
thinking, however, I realized that the stupid Atari laser printer might
need much more than that.  Anyway, after increasing the system space to
1500 kbytes, I finally succedded to get direct output on the laser
printer.

Actually, it works only most of the time, sometimes I get a page of
blank paper or nothing at all.  I haven't figured that one out yet.

It may be possible to decrease the 1500 kbytes a little bit. 1300 I know
won't work, but I don't have it narrowed down more than that.  Since
Uniterm needs some 500 kbytes plus maybe a couple hundred kbytes buffer
space plus you need GDOS and Diab630 plus maybe other AUTO programs and
accessories you think you cannot do without, this whole thing won't work
on anything less than a Mega ST4.

Now if the GEM file conversion programs some people told me about could
be posted at panarthea (the only server I know how to access) or sent
directly to me, I might be completely happy.

Cheers, Klaus.
Acknowledge-To: <WACKER@CERNVM>