[comp.sys.atari.st] MINIX and NETWORK connections

whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/17/90)

After reading thru the MINIX newsgroup, my intrest about ST MINIX has
really grown...  I would love to hear from anyone out there that has
purchased the package, as well as anyone else who has two cents to
put in.  Specifically, does it support multitasking, multiple users,
that kind of thing?  Can you still run TOS programs from inside it?
Would you consider it useful to people who aren't real unix gurus?

Also, along that same lines, what about Dave's Multitasking C-Shell?
Can it do any of the aforementioned neato-keen stuff?

Also, further down that same set of lines, I'd love to get some
feedback from anyone who has a form of UUCP running on their ST,
and USENET ect...

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,
Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

   Michael C. Whittenburg              Operator At The University of Kansas
      					     Academic Computing Center
   WHITTEN@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
   MWHITTENBURG@VOLTA.ECE.UKANS.EDU           WHITTEN@UKANVAX.bitnet
   MWHITTENBURG%ECE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU        OP55@UKANVM.bitnet

   Standard Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are mine... blah blah

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/19/90)

In article <22274.25dc6917@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> After reading thru the MINIX newsgroup, my intrest about ST MINIX has
> really grown...  I would love to hear from anyone out there that has
> purchased the package, as well as anyone else who has two cents to
> put in.  Specifically, does it support multitasking, multiple users,
> that kind of thing?  Can you still run TOS programs from inside it?
> Would you consider it useful to people who aren't real unix gurus?

Re MINIX:
Multitasking: yes
Multiusers:yes, if you add the rs232 driver, PD, on network.
Run TOS form MINIX: no; but you can access TOS files read/write.

Useful:  YOu don't have to be a guru to use it.  It helps to know UNIX
to appreciate what you can do with it.

I find it most useful as a maintenance tool for TOS files systems.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

In article <22274.25dc6917@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>After reading thru the MINIX newsgroup, my intrest about ST MINIX has
>really grown...  I would love to hear from anyone out there that has
>purchased the package, as well as anyone else who has two cents to
>put in.  Specifically, does it support multitasking, multiple users,
>that kind of thing?  Can you still run TOS programs from inside it?
>Would you consider it useful to people who aren't real unix gurus?

I haven't seen it done, but someone posted here a while back about
getting TOS executable files to execute under Minix. It's probably
a doable thing, but not advertised as a standard feature of Minix.
Heck, you could kludge up a library that converted Beckemeyer's
RTX system calls to Minix calls, then you'd *really* have some fun.

Oh, other question - yeah, Minix is multi-user and multi-tasking.
Version 7 Unix.

>Also, along that same lines, what about Dave's Multitasking C-Shell?
>Can it do any of the aforementioned neato-keen stuff?

Dave's stuff can do multi-tasking for sure; I've played with Micro-RTX
a little bit now. I'm not really interested in trying to make my ST
into a multi-user box, and I don't have the MT C-Shell, so can't
answer whether it's multi-user  or not. Don't see why not, tho.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (02/19/90)

whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>After reading thru the MINIX newsgroup, my intrest about ST MINIX has
>really grown...  I would love to hear from anyone out there that has
>purchased the package, as well as anyone else who has two cents to
>put in.  Specifically, does it support multitasking, multiple users,
>that kind of thing?  Can you still run TOS programs from inside it?
>Would you consider it useful to people who aren't real unix gurus?

MINIX is a 'clone' of UNIX (TM), V7. It can certainly do multitasking. On
PC engines it also does multiuser processing. The ability is also there in
MINIX ST but there may be a problem regarding the tty ports (i.e. serial
ports). I haven't tried it yet, though. The newest version, namely 1.5.0,
contains rs232 support and should therefore support multi users (2). This
cannot be bought it must be built from the Version 1.1 sold by PH using the
patches for PC and ST that were posted to the net.

You CANNOT run TOS programs. You can try to add such a feature analogous
to the ability of running DOS programs in SCO Unix but it would be quite a
project.

You should have UNIX knowledge. If you intend to do upgrading you should
even be competent in UNIX and system programming. If you intend to do
program development...

I would NOT consider it useful as a USERS OS. It's more a thing for people
who want to know their way around in operating systems and like to have one
os they can hack themselves (I haven't seen a spreadsheet for MINIX, for
instance).

Hope this helps you.
Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad