[comp.sys.atari.st] GCR, Uniterm questions

warningm@prism.cs.orst.edu (MICHAEL WARNING) (02/19/90)

Got a couple of questions that maybe somebody can help me with...

The first is on GCR.  It won't let me do a reset.  Is this normal?  A couple
of things is the manual implied that you should be able to do a reset, but it
always gives me 2 bombs, and I have to power down to get back.

I just got Uniterm via ftp from someplace, and there's a couple of things I
haven't been able to figure out.  First, what is the name of the default
setup file?  It's annoying having to specifically load the setup file each
time.  How do you stop an autodail?  Finally, when I try to do a view history
buffer, it says that I don't have enough memory (I've got 2 megs...)

Thanks for any help...
				Mike Warning
					warningm@prism.cs.orst.edu

In article <15981@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> warningm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (MICHAEL WARNING) writes:
>I just got Uniterm via ftp from someplace, and there's a couple of things I
>haven't been able to figure out.  First, what is the name of the default
>setup file?  It's annoying having to specifically load the setup file each
>time.  How do you stop an autodail?  Finally, when I try to do a view history
>buffer, it says that I don't have enough memory (I've got 2 megs...)

The default setup file is called uniterm.set. You can usually use Ctrl-C
to stop an auto-dial. We have version 2.0e002 on terminator, I'd heard that
2.0e011 was available but no one has mentioned where to get it. Anything
prior to edit 005 has a bug in the redial code such that setting the retry
attempts to 0 really means 255. If you set it to 1, no problem.

You need to select the Buffer option in the help menu, and set the System
memory to at least (5? 10? I forgot) Kbytes before you're allowed to use
the history buffer.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

exspes@bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (02/20/90)

In article <15981@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> warningm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (MICHAEL WARNING) writes:
>I just got Uniterm via ftp from someplace, and there's a couple of things I
>haven't been able to figure out.  First, what is the name of the default
>setup file?  It's annoying having to specifically load the setup file each
>time.  How do you stop an autodail?  Finally, when I try to do a view history
>buffer, it says that I don't have enough memory (I've got 2 megs...)

Default setup file is UNITERM.SET.  (Default phone number file is
UNITERM.TEL.) For stopping autodial, note that in some versions of
Uniterm the 'retry count' set in the phone-number list is actually a
'try' count, and 0 means try forever.  If it is hanging, try setting
retries to 1.  To forcibly stop an autodial, use control-C.  Far as
buffers go, one of the things saved in your setup is your buffer
sizes.  Uniterm allots your memory to buffer uses *statically* when you
start it up.  Check the BUFFERS sub-menu in the SETTINGS menu to see
how much space you have alloted for history.  Adjust to taste, and
save.

--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee@bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)