[comp.sys.atari.st] SID trio sound digitizer

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (02/19/90)

I picked up the sharware article on building a digitzer(sound) for the MAC
published and designed by the SID Trio, and its relatively cheap(20$)
I have been goosing about cartridge port projects and I think this is perfect.
Anyone care to adapt this to an ST??
I'd really like to do some sound digitizing but The STREplay cartridge price
doesn't warrant it.
anyone have a design+software worth gabbing about??

Well its worth a try

-Ajay

dhe@uafhcx.uucp (David Ewing) (02/20/90)

In article <4278@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
> I picked up the sharware article on building a digitzer(sound) for the MAC
> doesn't warrant it.
> anyone have a design+software worth gabbing about??

       I've written a sound editor program for a sound digitizer that I have
built.   It has all of the standard editing ablities that you may have seem of
the commercial software packages plus a few extras like digitial
amplicification and digitial mixing.  Of course I sure have gotten alot of
questioning looks whenever I tell people that I wrote the program in
GFABASIC 3.02 (Don't panic, I've used machine language extensivly).  If there
is any interest I'll have this thing posted to comp.binaries.atari.st.

       By the way, the design for the sound digitizer was made by a electronic
design program also written by me, but that's a whole other story....

              -Dave

 dhe@uafhcx.uark.edu                      David Ewing, University of Arkansas
 dhe@uafb15.uark.edu   "DON'T PANIC!!!"       Computer Science Engineering

dillenbu@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (02/20/90)

  As a matter of fact I designed a sound digitizer for a school project
on my ST.  I designed the circuit (very simple actually, just a A/D converter
and an amplifier) and implemented it on a Douglas prototype board.  I
used wire wrapping and the toal cost for making it was under $30.  However,
the A/D converter I used would be very difficult to obtain.  I got mine
by asking for a sample to be sent out for "an Engineering Project" I was
involved in.  I also wrote software that can sample the converter at up to
64 kHz (it might even go higher but I haven't tried).  The software is GEM
based and allows you to play/edit a number of digitized sounds at once.
If you are interested, I might be cajoled into making it public domain
I also have a LaTeX document with my final report on my project's status, I
would certianly be willing to send this out to those interested.  (Figures
not included, I drew most be hand.)
      dillenbu@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu

       John Dillenburg
        "You can't keep a man down without staying down with him."
           -- Ali