[comp.sys.atari.st] What's a filename.Z archive?

millert@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (02/19/90)

OK, I'm sure this has been answered before in this newsgroup, so please forgive me.  (I only got my ST 4 days ago) Anyway, I was going to ftp some stuff from   wuarchive.wustl.edu and I noticed that all the archives ended with a .Z extender.  What do I need to unarc these type files? (I've got ARC and ZOO).  Any help  would be greatly appreciated.
                              Thanks in advance.
                                                 -Todd

|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |
|Some get stoned, some get strange.  Sooner or later it all gets real. Walk on.|
+---------------------------------\Neil Young/---------------------------------+

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (02/20/90)

| ...I was going to ftp
| some stuff from   wuarchive.wustl.edu and I noticed that all the archives
| ended with a .Z extender.  What do I need to unarc these type files? (I've
| got ARC and ZOO).  Any help  would be greatly appreciated.
|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |

Those *.Z files have been compressed with the UNIX "compress" utility.
You need the "uncompress" utility to decode them. As far as I know, neither
compress nor uncompress has been ported to the ST, you'll have to do this on
a UNIX machine.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In article <17138@boulder.Colorado.EDU> millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) writes:
>OK, I'm sure this has been answered before in this newsgroup, so please forgive me.  (I only got my ST 4 days ago) Anyway, I was going to ftp some stuff from   wuarchive.wustl.edu and I noticed that all the archives ended with a .Z extender.  What do I need to unarc these type files? (I've got ARC and ZOO).  Any help  would be greatly appreciated.

A ".Z" signifies a file compressed with compress 4.3, a PD utility from the
Unix world. You should be able to find an ST version there as well.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

In article <5440105@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>| ...I was going to ftp
>| some stuff from   wuarchive.wustl.edu and I noticed that all the archives
>| ended with a .Z extender.  What do I need to unarc these type files? (I've
>| got ARC and ZOO).  Any help  would be greatly appreciated.
>|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |
>
>Those *.Z files have been compressed with the UNIX "compress" utility.
>You need the "uncompress" utility to decode them. As far as I know, neither
>compress nor uncompress has been ported to the ST, you'll have to do this on
>a UNIX machine.

They're available for the ST, honest! Just check terminator!

The files on wuarchive are the actual usenet articles, compressed. That means
that to get a usable file out of 'em, you need to uncompress, uudecode, and
then unarc.

The ST version is a full compress-4.3 utility, it'll compress and uncompress
with up to 16 bits of hashing, Just Like Real Unix.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan