[comp.sys.atari.st] Microsoft Write

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (03/04/87)

Well, yes, I DO have a copy of (I hope) beta test Microsoft Write.  And,
well, it's not good.  It seems to work much like most of the Mac word
processors (suprise, suprise) and does indeed have dynamic fonts.  But, the
version I have only has one font, the system font, and it is fairly crude.
The program itself is slow and is lousy to move around in for designing a
page (specifically a title page, me being an undergrad and still having to
write papers).  Its help is decent, though nothing to write home about
(sorry for the pun) and overall I think that the program might one day be
quite good, although it needs help now.  The major fault it had was its
inability to print what was on the screen.  In other words, you don't see on
the page what you see on the screen in the way of fonts and different
sizes.  The only choice you have in printing is the point size, which is
useful, but not very considering you cannot print out the font itself.  All
in all, testing the program was very tiring.  I can't imagine using it until
it is faster, prints correctly (yes I set the driver up for my Epson), and
has more fonts.  I use Timeworks Wordwriter right now and am very pleased
with it.

                      Adam Engst

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

The above opinions are solely mine and could probably be proven incoherent
in a court of law.

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (12/21/87)

Hi all...
Can anyone give me an exact date of when Microsoft Write is supposed to
appear.  Should I hold my breath ?  The reason I'm asking is that I need a
powerful word processor that is compatible with either an ibm or mac system.
Wordperfect isn't perfect and I've seen numerous beta versions of Write
floating around for at least 2 years now - so should I break down, buy
a magic sac and run word 3.01 (and spend hours getting it transferred to
mac format for printing) or wait for Write and zap it to a PC formatted
3.5 inch disk for laser printing.  (yes, I've seen wordwriter, 1st word plus
etc.. but I wouldn't want to do too much with these programs)
Is anyone at atari/microsoft listening ??

/Leonard

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (12/22/87)

In article <1987Dec20.223242.1574@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) writes:
> Can anyone give me an exact date of when Microsoft Write is supposed to
About the same time that the blitters will be available for the 520/1040s.
Seriously it is depressing that a piece of sotware like Microsoft Write
(a basic word processor) can't make it out of Atari.  What has it been
a year? Amazing.

You're probably better off buying the Magic Sac.  I certainly wouldn't
take any date Atari gives you at face value.

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/23/87)

In article <1987Dec20.223242.1574@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) writes:

> Can anyone give me an exact date of when Microsoft Write is supposed to
> appear.

Started shipping this week.  Finally!  Look for it at dealers within the
next couple of weeks.

> Wordperfect isn't perfect

I'm helping to beta test the next release of WordPerfect.  Despite the
problems, it is still awfully good.  And the support is fabulous.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (12/25/87)

	Neil, what's the Mfg's Suggested Retail Price (list price) for MS
Write?
	Thanks,
	 Marty
--
|	Martin Wiedmeyer - Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                        |
|       UUCP: {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin                            |

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/29/87)

In article <327@lakesys.UUCP>, martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) writes:

> 	Neil, what's the Mfg's Suggested Retail Price (list price) for MS
> Write?

$129.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

gaspar@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Al Gaspar) (01/08/88)

Has anyone (Neil?) seen both WordPerfect and Microsoft Write?  If so, it
would be nice to hear how they compare.  I saw WordPerfect ST advertised for
around $250.  Is it a whole lot better than Microsoft Write (will be :-)) at
$129?

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-OW, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (02/21/90)

thanks,
wngai

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu