[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Informer

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/20/90)

In article <90021910143087@masnet.uucp> david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) writes:

>  I've been looking for ST Informer, which I've heard is an excellent,
>newspaper-format ST journal. Is subscription the only way to get it?

I'd also like information about this.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

root@irscscm (Admin) (02/21/90)

In article <3002@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>In article <90021910143087@masnet.uucp> david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) writes:
>>
>>  I've been looking for ST Informer, which I've heard is an excellent,
>>newspaper-format ST journal. Is subscription the only way to get it?
>
>I'd also like information about this.

I've never seen ST Informer available in any computer stores, only
through the mail.  You might want to contact them:
ST Informer
909 NW Starlite Place
Grants Pass, Or  97526
Tele - 503-476-0071
       503-476-0021
Fax -  503-479-1825
CIS -  72007,1467

Marshall Lake
mlake@irscscm.UUCP

toml@xrxedds.UUCP (Tom Love) (02/22/90)

ST Informer
909 Northwest Starlite Place
Grants Pass, OR  97526

12 issues (U.S. 3rd class)  $18
12 issues (U.S. 1st class)  $27
includes a free PD disk with each 12 issue sub.

i've subscribed for about a year, and i'm fairly pleased.  they used
to send out 'free trial' issues periodically, then threatened to stop,
so i decided to send them some money.  there's too much game junk, not
enough hard tech stuff (does anyone know of an american magazine
worthwhile in this regard?).  the news coverage is good though.  i
plan to renew (what more can i say?).

ST World
2463 Latona Ct NE
Salem, OR 97303
$18/yr

i also get 'st world' (the american one), which in my opinion is
another kettle of fish entirely.  i've never seen a more poorly edited
rag - i admit i'm a bit of a stickler for grammar and syntax, but i
find st world utterly offensive in this regard.  content-wise it's
rather mixed.  it is also a rather self-promoting magazine (there is
some sort of connection with the world of atari shows).  the main
reason i subscribed was to read dave small's column.  i will probably
not be resubscribing to st world;  if i do it will be solely because
of dave small.

by the way, i've noticed that both st world and st informer are rather
cavalier about keeping their production deadlines.  however, unlike st
express, i don't believe either rag has screwed me out of an issue
yet.

Current Notes
122 N. Johnson Rd
Sterling, VA 22170

$24/yr (10 issues)

there's also 'current notes', produced in my hometown of sterling va
by joe waters.  CN is associated in some strong sense with WAACE, the
washington area atari computer enthusiasts (or something like that).
this is the same organization responsible for the annual WAACE
Atarifest held in fairfax va.  if you have never seen an issue of
current notes, you're missing a pretty good atari magazine.  it's a
user group mag, not a STart-style slick thing, but it has good broad
coverage of the industry, real software, games, news, etc - and, the
editorial quality is excellent.  CN also has an enormous PD library (8
bit, ST, and Magic/Specre) at $4 per disk.  joe, if there's any way
for you to read this - bravo on nearly six years of great work!!
--

tom love
Xerox Engineering Design and Documentation Systems

Disclaimer:  they didn't do it, i did, so leave them alone.

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (02/22/90)

>>  I've been looking for ST Informer, which I've heard is an excellent,
>>newspaper-format ST journal. Is subscription the only way to get it?
>
>I'd also like information about this.
----------

I just happen to have an issue here at work...

ST Informer
909 NW Starlite Place
Grants Pass, OR 97526

(503) 476-0071

Subscription Rates range from $18. for 3rd class to $69. for 1st class
foreign air.

They also maintain a PD library which subscribers get a discount on.

-Bob

| Bob Waltenspiel                   | e-mail: bobw@hpsad (hplabs!hpsad!..)    |
| ATE Software Team                 | Telnet: 794-3091                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-3091                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |

Although Pooh's head was stuffed with fluff, he was a cheerful fellow.