[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/20/90)

What is the status of GEM?

It would be nice if we had a clipboard a la mac and
some standards in data format that would facilitate
easy importing and exporting of data between programs.
I think this is one of the virtues of the mac OS/Finder.
THe above allows for a much more integrated environment
that tends to foster greater productivity.

Another very nice data structure a la mac is the
data fork/creator fork concept.  The GEM "install application"
is gross in comparison.  For those who don't know
what i am talking about:  when an application produces
a document under the mac os, that document has a
"creator" attached to it.  Now, whenever you click
on that document no matter where it is in any folder
or in any partition, the application loads and
loads the document with it.  System 7 purportedly
takes this further.  Let's say you cut a part of
your Excel spreadsheet and paste it into your word
processor document.  At some date later, you go back
into Excel and update your data.  The pasted part that
has been sitting in your word processor document gets
updated automatically.

Also..  most mac programs will load foreign documents.
Translate them into their own format etc...

I much prefer the ST hardware over the mac's with the same processor.
The ST with TurboST and NeoDesk has a much faster redraw...
also... the ST's I/O speed is considerably noticeable.
I even prefer most of the ST programs over their comparable mac
applications.  But the general environment of the ST is
clunky.  How difficult would it be to change TOS/GEM to
provide us with some of the features listed above?

Since i don't log onto Genie, i don't know if these issues
are being discussed at the Roundtables.  If so, anybody
care to elaborate HERE?

Considering the TT (the what?) is based on a much more
powerful processor, will GEM be rewritten to take advantage
of it?  I don't want just a "faster" ST...

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

BTW:  I hope people don't take this as a flame... or say
      "go buy a mac ", for one: these are suggestions
      (that i am sure are not novel), and two: i use
      GCR, so i get a feel for the differences between
      the environments rather immediately.

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Julian Reschke) (02/22/90)

In article <5838@blake.acs.washington.edu> Enartloc Nhoj writes:
> It would be nice if we had a clipboard a la mac and
> some standards in data format that would facilitate
> easy importing and exporting of data between programs.
> I think this is one of the virtues of the mac OS/Finder.
> THe above allows for a much more integrated environment
> that tends to foster greater productivity.

In fact, there
- IS a GEM clipboard. What do You think is the purpose of scrp_read() and
  scrp_write(). Here in Germany, SOME programs 'already' use it!
- ARE standard file formats. Think of GEM, IMG, CSV, TXT, DIF...

Julian F. Reschke, Hensenstr. 142, D-4400 Muenster, Phone: ++49 251 861241
eMail: ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET, "Julian Reschke" @ MAUS MS  (++49 251 80386)