[comp.sys.atari.st] C programming. DAs VS PRGs

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/21/90)

The October 1989 issue of "STart The ST Monthly" USA magazine has an article
describing how to write a desktop accessory that can be run as a PRG just by
renaming the file from ACC to PRG. It gives some sample code and a RSC to C
dumper program as well. Oh yes, the examples for C programs.

Has anyone tried to use the ideas in this article?? I have several programs
that I have written as PRGs which would be nice to run as DAs. I have followed the
guidlines in the articles (i.e. no menu bars as DA can't have them).

I use Mark Williams C and WERCS as my major development tools. Any ideas folks??

P.S. I am looking for any good examples of GEM AES/VDI C code in MWC form. Aren't
there *ANY* C programmers out there??

P.P.S. someone mentioned the great docs for the Prospero C compiler but said that
the GEM AES/VDI was mainly from the DRI IBM version. Does anyone own the Prospero?
Care to comment about the docs?

P.P.P.S. How about the Lattice C compiler version 5?? I have been trying to order
it from my local (Phoenix AZ USA) ST store, but no one distributes it in the USA
yet. Could someone from the UK tell me of a reputable mail order company who
could ship overseas?? I would really like to get the new version of Lattice C
from HiSoft. How good are the docs to it??

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652

RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.UK (Chris Ridd) (02/22/90)

Richard E. Covert wrote:
>P.P.S. someone mentioned the great docs for the Prospero C compiler but said
>that the GEM AES/VDI was mainly from the DRI IBM version. Does anyone own the
>Prospero?
  Well, I read the Prospero newsletters whenever we get them here, and they
claim all the GEM docs were written from hands-on use.  That is, they ignored
the DRI docs.

>P.P.P.S. How about the Lattice C compiler version 5?? I have been trying to
>order it from my local (Phoenix AZ USA) ST store, but no one distributes it
>in the USA yet. Could someone from the UK tell me of a reputable mail order
>company who could ship overseas?? I would really like to get the new version
>of Lattice C from HiSoft. How good are the docs to it??
  It's not shipping yet, and is still in beta test.  Some figures from a
commercial company suggested about a 30% speed improvement, and about 20% code
size improvement.  Your milage may vary (I've always wanted to say that!)

    Chris

-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (02/23/90)

In article <48c733f6.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes...

>P.P.S. someone mentioned the great docs for the Prospero C compiler but said that
>the GEM AES/VDI was mainly from the DRI IBM version. Does anyone own the Prospero?
>Care to comment about the docs?

The documentation is excellent. The distinction is between GEM Versions 1.1
(ATARI) and 2.0. Both GEM 1.1 and 2.0 AES/VDI bindings are described in detail.
The documentation clearly states 1.1 and 2.0 features of a particular
bindings or whether the function is new for V2.

---
Mason Gilliam
		(INTERNET,UUCP) gilliam@star.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!star.enet!gilliam