[comp.sys.atari.st] Color and Mono

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/20/90)

Is there a product that will allow a color monitor to be used (badly,
perhaps) as a monochrome monitor?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/22/90)

In article <3001@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
>Is there a product that will allow a color monitor to be used (badly,
>perhaps) as a monochrome monitor?
>
>--
>    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
>	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
>	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
>	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

There are several PD utilities that do this, none of which seem very robust
(ie they make everything crash!).  One commercial product that I know of,
Omnires (sold through E. A. Brown Co. for about $35) also does it, and it
seems to be more forgiving.  It also give the ability to emulate a color on
a mono (with grey scales, of course).  Several different methods for both
types of emulations are included, you are instructed to pick the one you
like the best (dithering, etc).  I would recommend that you get a real mono,
as they are cheap (hell, you might be able to get a used one for $60) and
they look sooo good (70Hz is hard to beat, best monochrome screen I have seen).

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead

pyr579@psc90.UUCP (Stephan Cleaves) (02/23/90)

Hello,

     The are to my knowledge two such programs which allow mono vision
on an ST color monitor. The only one I've ever seen is Omniview, I will
say however that even though it is capable of many tasks, not all software
will work, and it certainly isn't near mono res. Why not just buy a mono
monitor, they are $200, and a Monitor Master switch is $40
This omniview package goes for about 60 - 70 dollars.

Stephan Cleaves PSC (pyr579@psc90.UUCP)