[comp.sys.atari.st] Make My STE Sweat

opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (,,,2684025) (02/17/90)

Anyone in Europe or Canada have programs that will take
advantage of the STe's new features?

I have Derek's 4096colors demo, it's kinda neat, but...

Are there any scrolling/stereo sound/blitter/more 4096 color
 programs or demos out there?

I want to see for myself what a beast this machine is...

AAron nAAs
opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu

P.S.  My STe is Serial number 310, bought in Canada, and label
        says that its a US machine!!

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb16.214425.8758@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Anyone in Europe or Canada have programs that will take
>advantage of the STe's new features?

Am I missing something crucial, or does this not belong in rec.games.frp?

 - Chris
----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (02/21/90)

In article <27176@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>AAron nAAs asked:
>>Anyone in Europe or Canada have programs that will take
>>advantage of the STe's new features?
[Lots of Atari-specific stuff deleted]

Please take this discussion out of rec.games.frp and into comp.sys.atari.st.
Note the Followup-To: line.  If you feel like bitching, mail it, because I
don't read c.s.atari.st.

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/21/90)

AAron nAAs asked:
>Anyone in Europe or Canada have programs that will take
>advantage of the STe's new features?

Bob Brodie from Atari US showed us a 4 Meg STE this weekend, and showed two
programs for it...

One was a "bouncing ball" demo from Australia, with not so great graphics
(it was designed for a 50hz PAL system, so they might have been great, but
we didn't get to see them that way), and some really great sound by way of th
PCM digital sound output of the STE.... (AXEL-F from Beverly Hills Cop in
stereo...!)

The other was a game written by Atari's game division in Chicago... it was
a "River Raid" kind of thing called "Whitewater... (Something or Other)"
and came on two disks.. the first disk booted, started up the music and then
rather imperiously demanded, in a digitized voice, "DISK B...  DISK B..."

While Bob declared, rather frankly, "I wouldn't buy this game," several peopl
who had a chance to play it at the MACE user group meeting said it wasn't bad
in fact, there were several requests for copies. (Unfortunately it won't run
on anything other than an STE...)

When asked, Bob said Atari has no current plans to market the game.  Someone
at the meeting did mention another commercial release of a game for the STE,
whose title escapes me though, at 3AM....

>P.S.  My STe is Serial number 310, bought in Canada, and label
>        says that its a US machine!!

Bob told us that what happened to the US STE was that it failed its FCC type
acceptance tests.  While they redesigned the internal shielding, they shipped
the already assembled units to Canada for sale there... thus the "U.S."
label on the unit purchased in Canada....

BobR

ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) (02/23/90)

I don't want to be a pain or anything, but I'd like to mention
that the thread with the subject "Make my ste sweat" is getting
crossposted to rec.games.frp for some reason, and request that
the newsgroup field of the header be corrected in future.
Shannon Bell
ccastbs@prism.gatech.edu