[comp.sys.atari.st] Need answers for questions

S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) (02/15/90)

I have several questions and I hope someone can help me:

First, is STart mag still out (I know St-log/analog went down recently) and if
so, does anyone know why I am having so much trouble finding a copy?

Can anyone suggest a DS/DD ext drive for a 1040st (beside the 314)?  I need one
 that is very inexpensive and something that will hold up.  Has anyone heard
of the BeaST drive?

How does one get access to PROG-A16?  I seem to be having trouble getting in
contact with it.

Finally, is there a PD program which lets you display a color (PI2?) picture as
 the background of your desktop instead of Atari Green?  I know one exists for
monochrome, but I need color.
                                   Any answers are greatly appreciated

                                Robert Gambs (S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET)

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) (02/18/90)

In article <9002170530.AA19950@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) writes:
>I have several questions and I hope someone can help me:
>
>First, is STart mag still out (I know St-log/analog went down recently) and if
>so, does anyone know why I am having so much trouble finding a copy?

Hello, STart magazine is still out.  I really enjoy STart an awful
lot, and to tell the truth I'm not too dissapointed that ST-Log went
under. ST-Log never was all that great a mag.  I ussually find it at
any halfway decent bookstore...if they don't have it, maybe you can
get a store to order it.  It is really too bad that you can't get a
subscription to STart without paying to get the disks too.  I love the
mag, but I'll be hanged if I am going to pay loads of cash to get
stuff on a start disk, most of which is useless to me!

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (stowe) (02/18/90)

In article <9002170530.AA19950@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) writes:
>I have several questions and I hope someone can help me:
>
>First, is STart mag still out (I know St-log/analog went down recently) and if
>so, does anyone know why I am having so much trouble finding a copy?

Yes, STart is still available.  We get it at our store.  Do you have a Walden
or Dalton's bookstore?  Ours here also carry STart.

>Can anyone suggest a DS/DD ext drive for a 1040st (beside the 314)?  I need one
> that is very inexpensive and something that will hold up.  Has anyone heard
>of the BeaST drive?

Yes... the BeaST is a nice drive.  We sell the MaSTer drive at our store.
The main reason we chose the MaSTer over the BeaST is that the BeaST doesn't
have an output port... only input.  MaSTer has both.  The price is about
the same for both drives.  (They list around $230.  As an example, we carry
the MaSTer for $150.)  We've had many people who have been very happy.  The
MaSTer is only slightly larger than the BeaST.  (Certainly not significantly
so... it's 2"x4"x8".)  The MaSTer uses the Chinon mech.  The BeaST uses the
NEC.  (Same mech as in the GTS-100, so users of GCR may wish to beware.)
We have also sold the BeaST and have no reported problems as well.

Hope that helps!

Holly

-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-
stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu                        You're not strange.  I am.
-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-

derrick@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) (02/20/90)

In article <9002170530.AA19950@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) writes:

>Finally, is there a PD program which lets you display a color (PI2?) picture as
> the background of your desktop instead of Atari Green?  I know one exists for
>monochrome, but I need color.
>
>                                Robert Gambs (S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET)

 One I know that puts a picture in the background in all three resolutions
is Video Easel. I have had the demo version for about a year. I thought it
was neat, so I went to look for the commercial version. However, my local
dealer stopped carrying it a long time ago, and software mail order places
don't seem to have it. But the pictures that came with the demo version
(you are stuck with the ones it comes with, but in the commercial version
you can choose your own) are ok. It cost $16, which made it sort of a frivolous
purchase, since that's all it did.
 Anybody know what happened to this program? Is it pd or shareware now?
Anybody want to sell their copy?

                                                    Derrick

          \
  _________\____
 /______/   /___\
|______/  _/_____|   Holy Temple Of Jolt Swiggin' Dudes
|_--.__/ / /  _/_|   "We Never Sleep"
|_\ / __\| |\ \__|
|\_(_/ /_|__/\_\_|
|____/_/__COLA___|   Derrick Williams, Chief Acolyte
|___//___________|
|________________|
|The Switch Is On|   Rochester Institute of Technology
 \______________/

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/23/90)

Derrick Williams and Robert Gambs asked about a program which would display
color pictures on the medium-res desktop.

Coming soon from Darek Mihocka (co-father of the Quick ST Utilities and
father of the ST-Xformer 8-bit emulator) is  Quick ST II, his "software
blitter" which now not only speeds up text and GEM functions by several times
but also lets you load custom fill patterns for the desktop, or .PI2 and .PI3
Degas format pictures.

My monochrome desktop now displays a picture of Pattie Rayl, editor of the
Atari Interface Magazine...           :)

Quick ST II is a commercial version of the program Darek had previously
released as shareware. It's much faster, smaller, and more powerful. It's
price will be (I think..!)  $19.95    Watch for the ad in this month's
AIM magazine..!

BobR