[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm/Terminal Emulators Question

RJOHNSON@CEBAFVAX.BITNET (02/22/90)

     Could someone tell me if there is a more recent version of Uniterm than
2.0e? If there is, does it have full 132 column capability instead of the
previous 128? If not, is there a good commercial or PD program that will serve
as a full 132 column VT200 emulator? I really need the full 132 capability.
Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

"Certain it is and sure,     BITNET:   RJOHNSON@CEBAFVAX
love burns, ale burns,       INTERNET: RJOHNSON%CEBAF2.DNET@SURAGATE.CEBAF.GOV
fire burns, politics burns.  DECNET:   6415::RJOHNSON
But cold is life without     Reality:  Rick R. Johnson
them".- S'Task of ch'Havran  =================================================

In article <9002220808.AA28354@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> RJOHNSON@CEBAFVAX.BITNET writes:
>     Could someone tell me if there is a more recent version of Uniterm than
>2.0e? If there is, does it have full 132 column capability instead of the
>previous 128? If not, is there a good commercial or PD program that will serve
>as a full 132 column VT200 emulator? I really need the full 132 capability.
>Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

The latest version I've heard of is 2.0e011. The latest version I have, and
have put up on terminator, is 2.0e002. (If someone out there has 2.0e011,
will you please contact me? Huh? Please, pretty please???) None of these do
full 132 columns, scrolling or otherwise.

It'd be painful to write horizontal scrolling routines for this thing.

I installed Overscan in my machine, and then patched Uniterm to be resolution
independent. (I patched 2.0e002, the only one available to me.) (Actually,
"patching" is an understatement for all the changes I made...) My current
version is several kilobytes shorter, and 25% faster than the distributed
versions. With overscan active I get 137 columns and 60 (59) text rows on a
monochrome screen, and 144 columns and 35 (34) text rows on a color screen.
I've also fixed the redial bug, the screen redrawing when switching from
<view history> to <wide screen> modes, and a few other minor glitches.

If you want more than 128 columns of text out of Uniterm, stick Overscan
into your machine, or buy a Moniterm or similar (large) display...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan