[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard drive question

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) (02/07/90)

I have a hard drive question.  I have this supradrive 20 meg.  The
media is dead.  Can I just buy any old drive mechanism of any old size
and drop it in there?

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/07/90)

In article <22136@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) writes:
> I have a hard drive question.  I have this supradrive 20 meg.  The
> media is dead.  Can I just buy any old drive mechanism of any old size
> and drop it in there?

Basicly, Yes!
1.  Make sure that the replacement is the same type.  That is, MFM, RLL, SCSI.
2.  Give some thought to the power supply capacity in the SUPRA box.  As
    they supported many drives, it can probably handle whatever you buy.

If there is an Adaptec 4000A inside, its MFM.
If there is an Adaptec 4070A inside, its RLL.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

dsmall@well.sf.ca.us (David Small) (02/08/90)

[The basenote asks if a new mechanism can be put into a Supradrive 20].

well, maybe. You'll have to open it up and look. It may be an integral
controller drive (unlikely); it may be a controller that won't talk to
other drives decently (possible); it may be some custom weird setup.

	Basically, you'll probably see:

	1) Cable to Atari DMA port
	2) ACSI to SCSI converter board of some time
	3) 50 pin SCSI cable
	4) Disk Controller
	5) 34 & 20 pin cables to drive
	6) drive
	--
	7) power supply

	inside the drive, hooked together in that order.

	*Generally*, if you know what you're doing, you can unhook the 34 and
20 pin cables & power, put another mech in, and it'll go. But there are all
sorts of gotchas here possible. If you have a particular drive in mind, I
might be able to tell you; I've been "got" a lot.

	Anyway, open it up and tell us what you have; it'll help determine
what you can do.

	I took my SH-204 and made it into a 80-odd meg system, and the base
of a 240 meg system (4 x 60). Those components can go a long way with a few
clamp-on 50 pin connectors and cable.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

 "I feel signature lines should never be added to a post."

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (02/10/90)

    Earlier replies speculate on the Supra 20 internal configuration.

    I have a Supra 10 and it is a Xebec Owl (integrated drive) connected
    to Supra'a DMA-SCSI adapter. And the 10 is older than the 20. My
    guess would be that it is an integrated drive.
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (02/11/90)

Just got the big tax refund, yey!
Now I'm lookin' for the BIGGEST *AND* FASTEST __half height__ HD mech.
I'd like it to be either RLL or SCSI!
Also who'd have the best price *8^)

Ed <not askin' TOO much, am I?> June

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (02/24/90)

In article <26812@cup.portal.com> buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:
>Just got the big tax refund, yey!
>Now I'm lookin' for the BIGGEST *AND* FASTEST __half height__ HD mech.
>I'd like it to be either RLL or SCSI!
>Also who'd have the best price *8^)
>
>Ed <not askin' TOO much, am I?> June

Easy.  Ask for the Imprimis 94241-502.  It's a Wren VI class half height
mechanism.  Average seek time of 15 ms and should format on the ST to
something like ~425 MB.  Transfer rate is something like 14-22 Mbit/sec.
There is a pared-down version which formats to ~300MB but has a transfer
rate of 18-22 Mbit/sec.  It's an imbedded SCSI mechanism.  These puppies
just absolutely scream.  I have the Wren V half height on my ST and it
cranks 975 K/sec and 18 ms under RATEHD.  The Wren VI's are faster.  Much
faster.  Whew!

(Sorry for the inexactness.  I don't have the spec sheets handy and I don't
remember them exactly offhand.)

By the way, getting a big tax refund is a bad idea.  Ideally, you should pay
Uncle Sam at tax time.  No so much that you have to pay additional interest,
of course.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034