[comp.sys.atari.st] Terminal desk accessory

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (02/25/90)

Does anyone knows of any good terminal DESK ACCESSORY (like the one come with
the atari system disk)???

wayne

wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (02/25/90)

In article <25E74384.25975@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>Does anyone knows of any good terminal DESK ACCESSORY (like the one come with
>the atari system disk)???

Try STalker.  VT52/ansi emulation, ascii and x/ymodem up/downloads,
great autodialer, a host of nice features, and it works perfectly in
the background with your favorite GEM application.  I haven't used
anything but for ages.  STalker is distributed by:
  Strata Software
  94 Rowe Drive
  Kanata, Ontario
  K2L 3Y9  (613) 591-1922
I think it sells for about $35.  BBB
--
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Philosophy

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/26/90)

In article <25E74384.25975@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>Does anyone knows of any good terminal DESK ACCESSORY (like the one come with
>the atari system disk)???

I can think of one:  WTERM .

There are at least two programs called WTERM, and one of them is
an accessory available from the ftp site called "terminator", in
the directory "telecomm":

	-rw-r--r--  1          46592 Apr 12 02:18 wterm.arc

The distinction of WTERM is that it runs in a window.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

icsu8053@nero (Craig Pratt) (02/26/90)

In article <25E74384.25975@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>Does anyone knows of any good terminal DESK ACCESSORY (like the one come with
>the atari system disk)???
>

>wayne
>
>wngai@paris.ics.uci.edu

I searched long and hard for a *good* terminal desk accessory.  MiniTerm 9.32
seems to do the job.  It has very good vt100 emulation, allows for x/y/zmodem
uploads and downloads, cursor positioning with the mouse, function key assign-
ment, dialing menu and the configuration is performed by use of an editable
resource file.  I have used this program in conjunction with the MULTRAN
background downloader and it makes for an excellent combo.  Just pop up to
MiniTerm, start the download, then exit and invoke MULTRAN to download and
continue with what you were doing while it downloads.  It has a couple dis-
advantages though:  you must have a zmodem program to perform zmodem transfers
and it does not run in a window; it just takes over the screen.  I think you
can get this one from GEnie or FTP, but I can't quite remember where I got
it from - my brain is toast.
--
 / Craig Pratt                      BitNet: Craig.Pratt@msu3.oscs.montana.edu \
| Montana State University, Bozeman MT                          GEnie C.PRATT4 |
 \ " There's a lot to be said for a blow to the head. " - Blue Oyster Cult    /