[comp.sys.atari.st] Make my STe sweat...?????

cosc10hv@elroy.uh.edu (Paul Sears) (02/22/90)

In article <27176@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> AAron nAAs asked:
>>Anyone in Europe or Canada have programs that will take
>>advantage of the STe's new features?
>
> Bob Brodie from Atari US showed us a 4 Meg STE this weekend, and showed two
> programs for it...
>
> One was a "bouncing ball" demo from Australia, with not so great graphics
> (it was designed for a 50hz PAL system, so they might have been great, but
> we didn't get to see them that way), and some really great sound by way of th
> PCM digital sound output of the STE.... (AXEL-F from Beverly Hills Cop in
> stereo...!)
>
> The other was a game written by Atari's game division in Chicago... it was
> a "River Raid" kind of thing called "Whitewater... (Something or Other)"
> and came on two disks.. the first disk booted, started up the music and then
> rather imperiously demanded, in a digitized voice, "DISK B...  DISK B..."
>
> While Bob declared, rather frankly, "I wouldn't buy this game," several peopl
> who had a chance to play it at the MACE user group meeting said it wasn't bad
> in fact, there were several requests for copies. (Unfortunately it won't run
> on anything other than an STE...)
>
> When asked, Bob said Atari has no current plans to market the game.  Someone
> at the meeting did mention another commercial release of a game for the STE,
> whose title escapes me though, at 3AM....
>
>>P.S.  My STe is Serial number 310, bought in Canada, and label
>>        says that its a US machine!!
>
> Bob told us that what happened to the US STE was that it failed its FCC type
> acceptance tests.  While they redesigned the internal shielding, they shipped
> the already assembled units to Canada for sale there... thus the "U.S."
> label on the unit purchased in Canada....
>
> BobR

I am new on this  newsgroup.  I have an Atari 520ST upgraded to 1 meg.  I am
aware of the new products that Atari is planning on releasing but this STe is
new to me.   I have only heard of the TT and the Stacey Laptop - unless the STe
is the same as the Stacey....  Someone give me some info...

Paul Sears
COSC10HV@Elroy.Uh.Edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/23/90)

Paul Sears asked:
>I am new on this  newsgroup.  I have an Atari 520ST upgraded to 1 meg.  I am
>aware of the new products that Atari is planning on releasing but this STe i
>new to me.   I have only heard of the TT and the Stacey Laptop - unless the
>is the same as the Stacey....  Someone give me some info...

The STE is a minor upgrade to the original ST series.  It is externally
a 1040 ST with the letter "e" at the end of the model number and several
new ports and plugs.

Internally, the machine has been completely redesigned with a few added
features in addition to the standard ST.

There is a two channel PCM digital sound system, which allows almost CD
quality stereo sound in addition to the standard Yamaha sound chip through
the monitor speaker.  The PCM sound comes out two RCA style jacks on the back
of the STE and can be used to drive a stereo system.

There are two new ports on the left side of the machine, both are DB-15
connectors.  These can be used for analog joysticks, paddles or even
light pens or light guns.  Atari does not currently offer anything to plug
into these ports, but is hoping third-party companies will take up the
challenge and come out with some nifty gizmos to utilize the new ports.
From what I've been able to gather, these ports are somewhat similar to the
A/D ports on the Atari 800.

The system incorporates some new graphics hardware, which allows selection of
colors from a pallatte of 4096 colors.  The resolution is the same as the
standard ST, and only 16 colors can still be displayed at one time, but it
will allow finer graduations of color, valuable for ditization (for one
example).  The graphics hardware also includes the ability to "fine-scroll"
the screen, eliminating the need for mass copying of data in software,
resulting in faster and cleaner animations.  The STE also comes with the
legendary blitter chip.

Probably the greatest departure from Atari policy of the past is the use
of standard SIMM modules for memory expansion.  The basic 1 Meg STE can
*easily*  be upgraded to 4 Megs, and rather inexpensively as well.  According
to Bob Brodie, Atari doesn't plan to sell very many 4160STEs (4 Meg units)
since it would be so easy to upgrade the 1040STE.

In my opinion, this change in policy regarding memory upgrading is one of
the most positive moves Atari has made in 5 years.  (The other of course
being hiring Bob Brodie...   :)

The STE is planned to replace the 520 and 1040 models sold through Atari
computer dealers, while the 520 will be sold through "mass marketers" like
Montgomery Ward and Target stores as part of a $399 package bundled with
a group of software packages to be called the "Atari Advantage" or the "Atari
Power Pack"  (they're not sure yet).

The STACEY is a completely different product... it's tranportable version
of the standard 1040ST.

The STACEY should be available once Conner, the hard disk manufacturer
corrects a bug in its drives, and the STE should be available in the US once
a new RF shield is passed by the FCC...

BobR

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (02/27/90)

In article <27242@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Paul Sears asked:
>>I am new on this  newsgroup.  I have an Atari 520ST upgraded to 1 meg.  I am
>>aware of the new products that Atari is planning on releasing but this STe i
>>new to me.   I have only heard of the TT and the Stacey Laptop - unless the
>>is the same as the Stacey....  Someone give me some info...
>
>Probably the greatest departure from Atari policy of the past is the use
>of standard SIMM modules for memory expansion.  The basic 1 Meg STE can
>*easily*  be upgraded to 4 Megs, and rather inexpensively as well.  According
>to Bob Brodie, Atari doesn't plan to sell very many 4160STEs (4 Meg units)
>since it would be so easy to upgrade the 1040STE.

I thought we just heard from A.Pratt that use of SIMMs was on a "catch
as catch can" basis -- whatever method of cramming RAMs into the box was
cheapest on Day XYZ would be used.  Or was that for the STACEY?

>In my opinion, this change in policy regarding memory upgrading is one of
>the most positive moves Atari has made in 5 years.  (The other of course
>being hiring Bob Brodie...   :)

If opinions matter, I agree with BobR that use of standard SIMMs is a Good
Thing for the customer.
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.