[comp.sys.atari.st] I need TOS on disk! Help me!

v128ll9e@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (02/24/90)

I need a copy of the latest version of TOS for the Atari ST, on disk.  I
recently acquired an Atari ST emulator for my Amiga and am dying to try it out.
It requires me to put in a copy of TOS, which I don't own.  Anyone want to sell
me one?  Please make offers through my account (E-Mail me!)

Cheapest bid gets it.  I would like to get the latest version possible.
Incidentally, is TOS copyprotected?  If it is, I require the orriginal disk.
If, by some chance, you had an orriginal, archived it then somehow destroyed
the orriginal, I will accept a copy if the the orriginal disk accompanies it.

Oh yes, just as a matter of curiosity, what is TOS?

Thanks,
   Rich

P.S.  Boy am I desperate!!!  Golly, I'm so desperate that no offer will be
refused outright.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/27/90)

v128ll9e@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>I need a copy of the latest version of TOS for the Atari ST, on disk.
>[...]
>P.S.  Boy am I desperate!!!  Golly, I'm so desperate that no offer will be
>refused outright.

What you are asking is at worst unlawful and at best a violation of
nondisclosure agreements between Atari and its developers.  TOS-on-disk
is not copy-protected, but it certainly is copyRIGHT protected. It is
further protected as a trade secret.  It was only available to
developers, and they're all (nominally) bound by a nondisclosure
agreement with Atari.  (It goes both ways: Atari doesn't sell or
otherwise divulge THEIR work-in-progress, either.)

I guess there's no harm in buying an ORIGINAL RAM TOS disk (circa
1985), as long as the seller doesn't keep a copy for him/herself.  That
was a product for sale, and I don't think it was covered by any license
agreement, certainly not one saying you couldn't resell it.

I'm not giving legal opinions, only guesses.  I don't speak for Atari.
(Well, on RARE occasions I try to, but it almost always ends in
disaster.)