[comp.sys.atari.st] help with DEAD atari

staver@trub.crd.ge.com (Daniel A Staver) (02/21/90)

Does anyone have or know how to get schematics for
the Atari-520ST? My friend has one, and it doesn't
even want to start up now. He got the run-around
from various repair people so I'd like to give it
a shot. Any suggestions, or comments on common
failure modes ?

Please E-Mail replys, and I will summarize if there
is sufficient interest.

staver@susque.crd.ge.com

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (02/23/90)

> Does anyone have or know how to get schematics for
> the Atari-520ST?

The original 520ST was released to Howard Sam's ComputerFacts.

You can often find these in libraries -- as I did.

However, later versions of the 520ST and none of the 1040's and
Mega's have Sam's for them.  I guess Atari decided to keep it
all secret.  Still, except for blitters, etc, the general chip
set is the same (I presume) so the 520ST schematics might be
a good starting off point for other versions.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb22.171852.1512@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>However, later versions of the 520ST and none of the 1040's and
>Mega's have Sam's for them.  I guess Atari decided to keep it
>all secret.  Still, except for blitters, etc, the general chip
>set is the same (I presume) so the 520ST schematics might be
>a good starting off point for other versions.

Actually, Atari really diversified with chips.  I've seen several different	DMA chips and floppy controllers (anybody else have a VLSI1772 FC, as opposed
to the "standard" WD1772?).  All the chips are not 100% compatible, either...
Actually, I can't say that with 100% certainty.  My first DMA chip refused to
work with Spectre 128/ICD/Seagate 251/Adaptec 4000, but worked fine with every-
thing else.  The "new" DMA chip (actually an older model) worked fine with that
setup, but *something* is mighty unhappy when I try to use a Seagate 296N with
an ICD host adaptor and a Conner CP340 with a BMS200 HA online at the same
time. (yes, the SCSI IDs are not the same)

There are also four? versions of the blitter chip.

Plus, there's this new talk of SIMMs or SIPPs (SIPs?), depending on which is
cheaper...

>--
>- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
>- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

Mike

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (02/27/90)

In article <6174@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Plus, there's this new talk of SIMMs or SIPPs (SIPs?), depending on which is
>cheaper...

Regarding the probability that STEs will feature SIPPs if they are
cheaper - excuse my ignorance but are SIPPs ram things which don't let
you plug in memory chips??

If they are then a few people over here are going to be a bit
cheesed-off when they buy their SIMMs upgrade for 69pounds and find they
can't use them. Everyone in the UK believes SIMMs to be a feature of the
machine. (Magazines, distributers, users - remember them Atari?, etc)

As I say, if that's what Mike was on about then it's OK, if I've picked
up the wrong thread and he's not talking about the STE then sorreeee!

Mark.