[comp.sys.atari.st] User support? Re: harddisk-backup

bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) (02/13/90)

In <"90-02-09-11:06:10.92*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> O. Steinmeier writes:

>So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
>harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?

So you want it to be fast, reliable, and do everything but wash the kitchen
sink but you don't want to pay for it????  Typical.

Besides the TOTAL lack of support from Atari Corp.(products, marketing, and
distribution) the single most important factor contributing to the decline
(and eventual death unless something changes) of the ST is the unwillingness
of users to PAY for quality software.  NOBODY wants to develop software for
a machine that you can only sell 500 copies of a program before it's on half
the bulletin boards across the country.

Unless Atari starts selling more machines so there are a few more users to buy
software AND unless ST users start supporting the machine through the purchase
of quality software there won't be any quality software to purchase!

  Bob Luneski
  Diamond Back Support Hotline:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM
                                 Genie: B.LUNESKI1

  The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
  opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

tar@naucse.UUCP (Tim Roeder) (02/13/90)

In article <8533@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) writes:

> In <"90-02-09-11:06:10.92*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> O. Steinmeier writes:

> >So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
> >harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?
>
> So you want it to be fast, reliable, and do everything but wash the kitchen
> sink but you don't want to pay for it????  Typical.

I would like the know just what is wrong with wanting to get a useful piece of
software as cheaply as possible.  As I recall there are very GOOD packages for
non-Atari computers in the public domain (PD/Shareware) that do things as well
or better than commercial packages at a fraction of the cost.  What's the
matter, having a bit of hard luck??

> Besides the TOTAL lack of support from Atari Corp.(products, marketing, and
> distribution) the single most important factor contributing to the decline
> (and eventual death unless something changes) of the ST is the unwillingness
> of users to PAY for quality software.  NOBODY wants to develop software for
> a machine that you can only sell 500 copies of a program before it's on half
> the bulletin boards across the country.

Even though the first part of the above statement is for the most part true, I
think that it is ENTIRELY uncalled for to make such a statement vis-a-vis
commercial software on Pirate BBS'es.  You obviously have a serious attitude
problem.

> Unless Atari starts selling more machines so there are a few more users to buy
> software AND unless ST users start supporting the machine through the purchase
> of quality software there won't be any quality software to purchase!

While I do agree with the necessity of support for commercial software for the
ST, I dislike the tone that you have used in your little tantrum.  If you can't
make a positive contribution to the net, then just BE QUIET!

>   Bob Luneski
>   Diamond Back Support Hotline:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM
>                                  Genie: B.LUNESKI1
>
>   The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
>   opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

Hm, a disgruntled (but obviously otherwise gainfully employed) developer, eh?

program by George Woodside successfully for a number of years now.  It should
be available from the various servers (I'm sure it's at terminator...).  If
you are unable to ftp, you can get it off of my wife's BBS 7 days a week, from
10PM-7AM MST.  The number is:  602-578-9115.  I hope that this helps you out,
Mr.(?) Steinmeier.

(To Bob:  See how easy it is to do something constructive as opposed to whining
about how 'rough' life is?)

Timothy Roeder
<don't know if my .sig works anymore or not...been so long since I've responded
in this manner...>

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/14/90)

In article <8533@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) writes:

> In <"90-02-09-11:06:10.92*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> O. Steinmeier writes:

> >So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
> >harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?
>
> So you want it to be fast, reliable, and do everything but wash the kitchen
> sink but you don't want to pay for it????  Typical.
>
> of users to PAY for quality software.  NOBODY wants to develop software for
> a machine that you can only sell 500 copies of a program before it's on half
> the bulletin boards across the country.

Whats great is that the Atari is easily programmed by good hackers and so
so much is free.  [The term hacker, is used here in its original complimentary
sense].

Turtle is available on USENET as freeware (I think is free, otherwise its
sharware and cheap).  It is fast, reliable and even tries to wash the dishes.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

tmb@moscom.UUCP (Tom Bellucco) (02/27/90)

In article <8533@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) writes:

>In <"90-02-09-11:06:10.92*UK14"@DKAUNI2.BITNET> O. Steinmeier writes:

>>So, if you know a reliable, fast, cheap (PD or shareware preferred)
>>harddisk backup program, would you send me a message?
>
>So you want it to be fast, reliable, and do everything but wash the kitchen
>sink but you don't want to pay for it????  Typical.
>
>Besides the TOTAL lack of support from Atari Corp.(products, marketing, and
>distribution) the single most important factor contributing to the decline
>(and eventual death unless something changes) of the ST is the unwillingness
>of users to PAY for quality software.  NOBODY wants to develop software for
>a machine that you can only sell 500 copies of a program before it's on half
>the bulletin boards across the country.

While I agree with your point about many users not willing to pay for quality
software, I don't think you had to jump on this guy to make it.  There's
nothing to indicate that he was not going to pay for a shareware product.
Maybe he feels the best value is in the shareware/PD market.  And asking for
fast and reliable software is not asking for much!!!!

The way that I see it is that most ST owners bought their ST because of it's
value (translation:  it was priced lower than everything else).  You will
find tons of college students owning STs, and I've seen hundreds of messages
from those students saying "I'm a poor college student and can't afford to pay
for this piece of software.  Does anyone know where I could find something
comparable in the PD or as shareware?"

At first I wondered why Publishing Partner (remember that?) came out without
a HP laser printer driver (I couldn't believe it had a Postscript driver!), but
I read somewhere that the company felt that most ST owners could not afford a
laser printer and that the Postscript driver was for the serious desktop
publisher, and for their own use.  If Softlogic really said that, I don't know,
but that is what I'm talking about.

Maybe this is why the ST has trouble attracting the big name software
developers.  They know that someone who paid $600 for a complete system won't
pay $300-$500 for their software.

--
 Tom Bellucco - moscom!tmb@cs.rochester.edu  or  {...}!rochester!moscom!tmb