[comp.sys.atari.st] ICD RateHD

RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.UK (Chris Ridd) (02/22/90)

I tried the RateHD a day or so ago - it is supposed to determine the speed of
a hard disk *independant* of the OS slowing it down (:-).  Anyway - I tried it
on my Supra, and it gave something like a 40ms access time.  Then I defragged
my root partition (only about 4Megs) and ran it again.  This time, the access
time was only about 36ms!  Has DLII (the defragger used) done something
unexpected to my drive, or has RateHD gone doolally?

   Chris

-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

(The new, improved sig! Or it was until I added this line...)

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/28/90)

In article <9002212030.aa00488@benjamin.Cs.Bham.AC.UK> RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.UK (Chris Ridd) writes:
[stuff deleted for inews's sake]
>my root partition (only about 4Megs) and ran it again.  This time, the access
>time was only about 36ms!  Has DLII (the defragger used) done something
>unexpected to my drive, or has RateHD gone doolally?
>
>-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

RateHD's results are not always constant.  The defragger did not make any dif-
ference, as RATEHD goes to low-level sector seeking, totally ignoring GEMDOS.
Try running it several times and see what happens.

I doubt DLII could change any hardware... :-)

Mike