[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac emulators and Hard disks

sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Vincent Schonau) (03/01/90)

Hi.
My 1040STF has been sitting on my desk at home (The Hague, NL) for
about seven months now, and I will soon be going back.  I have been
*out* of the ST world (note, not ST World) for a long time, mostly
using Macs.
This has made me positively want a good Mac emulator when I get back,
and a harddrive.  Anybody have any suggestions?
I have some experience with Aladin, but I haven't heard anything about
it in (obviously) months.
As to the harddrive, I am thinking around 40 meg, and if possible I
would like to be able to upgrade later (attach another drive).

Anybody have any suggestions? (come out of that hideyhole, Europeans)

Anything in mail or to the net will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent.

+ Vincent Schonau  || Yeah.  So.  I am a bum.....what's your point?           +
+ -----------------------------++---------------------------------------------+
+ Bit: vschonau@iubacs, Inter: vschonau@amber.ucs.indiana.edu, sl198004@silver>

hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Hans Buurman) (03/01/90)

In article <37544@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Vincent Schonau) writes:
>This has made me positively want a good Mac emulator when I get back,
>and a harddrive.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>I have some experience with Aladin, but I haven't heard anything about
>it in (obviously) months.

I have Aladin 3.0, and am a very satisfied user. It has the 64k roms.
It supports at least the SH204 and SH205, but also other drives that I
do not know of. It runs the mac software that I need.

Unfortunately, the Aladin people were forced out of business by an Apple
lawsuit threat a few months ago. So we won't have the 128k rom upgrade.

One of the Aladin people proposed a shareware version in this group,
but hasn't been heard of since.

>Anybody have any suggestions? (come out of that hideyhole, Europeans)

Here I am. We hear some good things about the Spectre. Try to take one
with you. I suppose they'll be cheaper over there. (Yes, I'm Dutch. So is
Vincent :-)

	Hans

Hans Buurman               | hans@duttnph.tudelft.nl | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group  | 31-(0)15-78 46 94       |
Faculty of Applied Physics | Delft University of Technology

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/02/90)

Mac emulation - Spectre GCR is the *only* way to go.  No messing with
                funny disk formats, Mac disks work out of the box and
                run at speeds faster than a real Mac Plus.  Aladin is
                pale by comparison.

Hard Drive -    If you want a great price and future expandability I
                suggest an ICD FaST 50meg drive with the Seagate 157N
                28ms drive inside - this baby can be had for around $650
                and comes complete - and upgrading is as easy as tossing
                in a new mech and buying a double crimped cable - the
                software is also outstanding.