[comp.sys.atari.st] Bug in TOS 1.6

euaanu@eua.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin) (03/02/90)

I bought my 520 STE in december-89 and I'm very satisfied with it, except
for one thing. If I try to access a disk and it isn't inserted I get
the (CANCEL)  (RETRY) dialog box. If I put in the disk and click on
(RETRY) the machine BOMBS!!!!! (with bombs on half the screen). The same
thing occurs if I try to write to a write protected disk, remove the
write protection, and then click on RETRY.

Has anybody else experienced this??

/Arto

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/03/90)

In article <2701@erix.ericsson.se> euaanu@euas20.ericsson.se (Arto Nummelin) writes:
>I bought my 520 STE in december-89 and I'm very satisfied with it, except
>for one thing. If I try to access a disk and it isn't inserted I get
>the (CANCEL)  (RETRY) dialog box. If I put in the disk and click on
>(RETRY) the machine BOMBS!!!!! (with bombs on half the screen). The same
>thing occurs if I try to write to a write protected disk, remove the
>write protection, and then click on RETRY.
>
>Has anybody else experienced this??

I have seen things like this, but don't remember where.  I have used
a 1040 ST and now use Mega ST2.  I just tried an experiment...

	remove floppy from drive A:.
	drag icon for a file from drive A: to drive D:.
	get the CANCEL-REPLY dialog box.
	put the disk back in.
	copy proceeds just fine.

Does this sequence this give you bombs too?
It seems to me that the times I have had trouble have been while
running application programs and I have had both bombs and program aborts.
I try to keep my drive a: loaded most of the time.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET