[comp.sys.atari.st] TT and STe info needed

UN030357@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (02/27/90)

I will try to be brief but I have some burning questions.  I have been Atari
fan since first computer...I have owned several 8-bit's...I have also been
fan of ST for as long as there has been one.  I regret that the computer has
not been supported in America as it should.  However, I am still planning on
buying one.  This brings me to my questions.  SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE NEW
ATARI STe AND TT?  AND WHAT EXACTLY ARE THEY?.  It is hard to get that kind
of info here.  I hate asking people if they sell Atari Computers and have the
reply "Atari still makes computers?."  Please do not send hostile replies
I am truly an Atari fan (till death).  And I hope sincerely that these new
computers will sell in America.  As for those of you who ask, I am a comp.
sci. major at West Virginia University and want the computer for programming
and telecommunicating.  Please send replies directly to me as not to take
up space on the list.
                                                  Sincerely,
                                                  James Keefover
                                                  via UN030357@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

2fjmvery@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/02/90)

In article <9002280803.AA14210@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, UN030357@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU writes:
> I will try to be brief but I have some burning questions.  I have been Atari
> fan since first computer...I have owned several 8-bit's...I have also been
> fan of ST for as long as there has been one.  I regret that the computer has
> not been supported in America as it should.  However, I am still planning on
> buying one.  This brings me to my questions.  SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE NEW
> ATARI STe AND TT?  AND WHAT EXACTLY ARE THEY?.  It is hard to get that kind
> of info here.  I hate asking people if they sell Atari Computers and have the
> reply "Atari still makes computers?."  Please do not send hostile replies
> I am truly an Atari fan (till death).  And I hope sincerely that these new
> computers will sell in America.  As for those of you who ask, I am a comp.
> sci. major at West Virginia University and want the computer for programming
> and telecommunicating.  Please send replies directly to me as not to take
> up space on the list.
>                                                   Sincerely,
>                                                   James Keefover
>                                                   via UN030357@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

The most objective and reliable source I have been able to find for information
regarding the STe and TT are Current Notes and STart magazine.

The February 1990 issue of STart has an excellent in-depth look at the TT and
its new operating system.  STart has had the most BS-less, objective and
accurate info in its last 3 or 4 issues on the STe and TT.  Most of what I've
seen on this newsgroup about the TT and STe has bordered on rumormongering
(not to put any of you down, it's just hard to keep track of all the gossip we
spread).

Current Notes magazine has had timely, official information on the TT and STe
since their introduction at COMDEX.  It seems as if CN's shorter publication
lead time helps the recency of what they publish.

(By the way, I tried mailing directly to you, James, but our VAX didn't like
the address)

Jim Sisul
The University of Kansas

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/04/90)

Jim Sisul writes, about the STart coverage of the TT:

>The February 1990 issue of STart has an excellent in-depth look at the TT an
>its new operating system.  STart has had the most BS-less, objective and
>accurate info in its last 3 or 4 issues on the STe and TT.  Most of what I'v
>seen on this newsgroup about the TT and STe has bordered on rumormongering
>(not to put any of you down, it's just hard to keep track of all the gossip
>spread).

Actually, according to Bob Brodie of Atari Corp, much of the STart article
on the TT was inaccurate, based on obsolete information.  Apparently no
one at STart bothered to contact Atari prior to publication to verify the
content of the article.

The TT is STILL not finalized, so *anything* you read about its specification
or capabilities is "rumor"...

Maybe *someday* our children will be able to tell us what a TT is really
like...

BobR