[comp.sys.atari.st] Obtaining UW

kennyz@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenny Zalewski) (03/01/90)

Hi...  I'd like to know where I can find the LATEST version of both the
Atari ST version, and the Unix side, of "uw", the Unix Windowing program.
I have both right now, but there are two major problems, and if anyone
has a solution, please either post here, or E-mail me.

1.  Only adm31 emulation.  I really need vt100 terminal emulation.  This
    is more a wish, than a problem.  It can't be THAT difficult to
    implement, though.

2.  I have version 4.2 of the Unix side of "uw".  I compiled all the files
    using make, and included the -DUTMP define to allow the program to
    record my tty's in the /etc/utmp file.  Unfortunately, for some reason
    the windows don't show up in a "who" listing, and are obviously NOT
    getting written into the /etc/utmp file (and, yes, it IS world-writable.)
    So my only conclusion is that the version on my ST is not writing the
    /etc/utmp information, though that doesn't make sense to me, because
    Unix should be handling it.  Any ideas???

                                      Thanks in advance.

                                                     --- Kenny Z.

--
Kenny Zalewski
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, BARH B 107, Troy, NY, 12180-3590

cwilliam@brillig.umd.edu (Christopher 'Merlin' Williamson) (03/01/90)

In article <G#_#AK-@rpi.edu> kennyz@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenny Zalewski) writes:

   1.  Only adm31 emulation.  I really need vt100 terminal emulation.  This
       is more a wish, than a problem.  It can't be THAT difficult to
       implement, though.

Sorry cant help you here.  You should be ok with a proper TERMCAP file
on your UNIX end.  It provides function keys, reverse, underline,
bold, and cursor stuff just like vt100.  Future versions are supposed
to include this, as the current Mac version does.

   2.  I have version 4.2 of the Unix side of "uw".  I compiled all the files
       using make, and included the -DUTMP define to allow the program to
       record my tty's in the /etc/utmp file...

I have gotten both the ST and the UNIX end running also on BSD 4.2  I
just typed make all and ran uw on the UNIX-end, than went to my ST and
opened a fresh window, followed by more windows, and more windows..

I love it!  It is *ALMOST* as good as X (for 2400 baud from home
that is...:-)  I can finally have my gnumacs, mailer, a program compiling,
a login to a remote site, as well as an ftp session all going at
the same time and keep track at home!  If anyone would be interested in
helping me add goodies to this code to include scrollbars, etc send
mail to me and perhaps we can upgrade/hack some extra goodies into the
current version of UW.

Chris

 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
     What I have said above may or may not be fact, you be the judge...

  Christopher Williamson | cwilliam@brillig.umd.edu | Arpa/InterNet
  Human-Computer Int Lab | cwilliam@UMDD            | BitNet
  Univ. of Maryland      |...!uunet!brillig!cwilliam| UUCP
  College Pk, MD 20740   | (301) 454 - 1517         | If all else fails

    " Horses are born trying to kill themselves.
	  The best we can do is make it difficult for them... "

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (03/02/90)

>I have gotten both the ST and the UNIX end running also on BSD 4.2  I
>just typed make all and ran uw on the UNIX-end, than went to my ST and
>opened a fresh window, followed by more windows, and more windows..

  Does anyone have a version of this that runs on system V machines or
  HP's version of UNIX.  Would anyone like to do that? :-)

>Chris

  Randy
   |\   | |     _ |                        Randy Hosler
   |/   |-| /\ <  | [] /\                  randyh@hpsadpk
   |\ . | | \/ _> | \_ |                   (707) 974-3677

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (03/05/90)

> >I have gotten both the ST and the UNIX end running also on BSD 4.2  I
> >just typed make all and ran uw on the UNIX-end, than went to my ST and
> >opened a fresh window, followed by more windows, and more windows..
>   Does anyone have a version of this that runs on system V machines or
>   HP's version of UNIX.  Would anyone like to do that? :-)

Yes, a SysV version would be amusing... but what about a newer version
of the one we already have?  I would sincerely love to see some sort
of file transfer besides simple capture.  Also, I hate adm3a
emulation!  Editing files is really awful because the terminal type
lacks certain commands.

Also, in my version... to get rid of the title bars.. and the scroll bars...
I have to switch them to ON, not off...  that seems backwards.

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''