[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems with Files using HD Backups and GEMINI

bmaraldo@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (03/04/90)

	I really need some help with a problem I am having.  First, I'll
describe my system: original 520St with a 2.5M upgrade, TOS 1.4 in EPROM,
20M Supra, mono monitor and double sided 3.5" drive.  The problem:  when I
use a hard disk backup program the files wirtten to floppy are randomly
corrupted, that is some of the files get corrupted some don't, its about
50/50.  Most of the text files are fine but the .PRG .TOS and .TTP programs
get munged.  This happens with Oscar and dliII or what ever that *GREAT*
back-up program recently posted was called.
	Now, when I run GEMINI I get the same probelm when I transfer
files around ont he HD (painful when using TeX because I have to go and
find all the nasty characters in the corrupted file), and when I transfer
files from the HD to floppy (the floppy files get corrupted).  *This problem
doesn't happen when I use the standard desktop!*  I have to back-up my HD
manually which is a pain and I can't use GGemini which is a *GREAT*
desktop!  In my \AUTO I have MACCEL the mouse accelerator, AMCDOS (the GEMINI
gdos substitute), POOLFIX, and FOLDER250.  My .ACC are: KRoget, Mdisk,
QuickST, and ZTime.
	If somebody can tell me what is happening I'd appreciate it.  I'd
also like to solve the problem.  Oh, one other important thing:  the problem
still exists regardless of whether the 2M memory expander is connected and/or
the .ACC and \AUTO progroams are installed; ann empty virgin 520ST with TOS1.4
still causes the problem (with HD backup programs- I have't tried this with
GEMINI).  Please help.

brett L Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (03/05/90)

In article <1322@watserv1.waterloo.edu> bmaraldo@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:

>	I really need some help with a problem I am having.  First, I'll
>describe my system: original 520St with a 2.5M upgrade, TOS 1.4 in EPROM,
>20M Supra, mono monitor and double sided 3.5" drive.  The problem:  when I
>use a hard disk backup program the files wirtten to floppy are randomly
>corrupted, that is some of the files get corrupted some don't, its about
>50/50.  Most of the text files are fine but the .PRG .TOS and .TTP programs
>get munged.  This happens with Oscar and dliII or what ever that *GREAT*
>back-up program recently posted was called.
>	Now, when I run GEMINI I get the same probelm when I transfer
>files around ont he HD (painful when using TeX because I have to go and
>find all the nasty characters in the corrupted file), and when I transfer
>files from the HD to floppy (the floppy files get corrupted).  *This problem
>doesn't happen when I use the standard desktop!*

When you first reported problems with The Vault and The Key, I was
trying my hardest to figure out what might be wrong with the software.
Now that you are experiencing the same problems with GEMINI, I think
it's pretty clear that the problem is not with software but with your
hardware.  I would suspect your memory upgrade.  There is probably
some bad memory somewhere.  The Vault makes use of all available
memory to copy files, so if any memory was bad, corrupted files would
be likely.  GEMINI uses memory not used by the normal desktop, so it's
not surprising that GEMINI might run into the bad portion of memory
whereas the standard desktop does not.

I suggest you run a careful memory test.  Then, if you do determine that
your problems were due to hardware that you report this fact back on the
net so that the thousands of people who read your original postings about
problems with The Vault and with Gemini can relax and benefit from those
programs.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |