[comp.sys.atari.st] 1 Meg Drams..

bissiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Moja Fritzah) (07/27/89)

Hi.
Can someone suggest a responible mail-order house
that sells 1 meg chips at the MOST reasonable price?

Thanks!

-kevin
bissiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (03/07/90)

I have a question about drams, I need 16 1 Megabit drams to go up to
2.5 megs in my 520ST with an EZRAM ][ board.  I have 9 at 120 ns and
7 at 100 nsec. Can I mix the speeds on the same bank??

thanks to all who respond
e-mail would be better but you can post here if you like..

 -Ajay Choudhri
ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP
ins_bac@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (03/08/90)

ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>I have a question about drams, I need 16 1 Megabit drams to go up to
>2.5 megs in my 520ST with an EZRAM ][ board.  I have 9 at 120 ns and
>7 at 100 nsec. Can I mix the speeds on the same bank??

Yes, go ahead and mix them.  FYI the speed ratings are MAXIMUMS.  In reality
the data comes out much sooner than the rated maximums -- because the
maximums have to include low voltage (4.5 volts) and high temperatures
(probably 50 degrees C.) and process variations (10%?) and STILL be within
maximums.  My point is that system designs depend on the chips meeting
the maximum requirement -- faster chips do this, but at some point you
end up paying for speed capability that you don't need.

Anything under 150ns (what my original Atart 520 ST came with) will work
just fine -- mixed or not.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853