[comp.sys.atari.st] PD/shareware Fortran compiler for Atari ST needed

wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) (03/06/90)

Is there any existing PD/Shareware Fortran compiler for Atari St in existence?

Is so, could someone please mail me a copy?? Thanks!!!

wayne

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (03/08/90)

In article <25F2F5D8.10902@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:

>Is there any existing PD/Shareware Fortran compiler for Atari St in existence?
>
>Is so, could someone please mail me a copy?? Thanks!!!
>

>wayne

If you get any responses, please post a summary to the net.  I'm also
interested in Fortran for the ST (but not interested enough to pay
big bucks for it) and there are likely others.

Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Vincent Schonau) (03/08/90)

writes:
>>Is there any existing PD/Shareware Fortran compiler for Atari St in existence
>>Is so, could someone please mail me a copy?? Thanks!!!
>>
>>wayne
>
>If you get any responses, please post a summary to the net.  I'm also
>interested in Fortran for the ST (but not interested enough to pay
>big bucks for it) and there are likely others.

I have a copy of a PD fortran interpreter (compiler? I am not sure I am a
Fortran-knownothing), that I obtained from the dutch usergroups on a disk..
I think the documentation was in German.....

-Vincent.

+ Vincent Schonau  || Yeah.  So.  I am a bum.....what's your point?           +
+ -----------------------------++---------------------------------------------+
+ Bit: vschonau@iubacs, Inter: vschonau@amber.ucs.indiana.edu, sl198004@silver>

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/09/90)

In article <21699@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>In article <25F2F5D8.10902@paris.ics.uci.edu> wngai@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Ngai) writes:
>>
>>Is there any existing PD/Shareware Fortran compiler for Atari St in existence?
>>
>>Is so, could someone please mail me a copy?? Thanks!!!
>>
>>wayne
>
>If you get any responses, please post a summary to the net.  I'm also
>interested in Fortran for the ST (but not interested enough to pay
>big bucks for it) and there are likely others.
>

>Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
>Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
>University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

There is only one Fortran compiler for the ST that I know of, Prospero Fortran.
To my understanding, it is excellent, but also "big bucks."

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

gl8f@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (03/09/90)

In article <9003090407.AA08960@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

> There is only one Fortran compiler for the ST that I know of, Prospero
> Fortran.  To my understanding, it is excellent, but also "big bucks."

There is also Absoft Fortran, which I believe the company is no longer
actively working on upgrades for (?), and a German 68000-based fortran
compiler which I got a doc for a long time ago but never had any luck
contacting the author to get a recent version of. It came out of CERN
or some similar physics-type envionment, and didn't look robust enough
to compile my typical zillion-line programs.

Absoft is the company that wrote Mac Fortran for Microsoft. They're
also a bunch of physicists :-)

Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                  Astrophysicists for Choice.

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (03/10/90)

You must mean the 'Real Time Fortran', used among others by UA1 at CERN (the
guys who discovered the W, the Z and damn nearly supersymmetry).  I have only
seen it on a Mac.  It is known here as the 'ghost house'.  We never managed to
get the 'savage' banchmark to run properly - it would not print 2 numbers (1
was OK), but it has many extensions for real time control of equipment.

My 2c worth on the other 2:
Absoft: fast, extensions, very sloppy syntax checking, no GEM interface worth
        speaking of (but who does GEM in Fortran?), cheap, no support.
Prospero: integrated environment (without 'make' and no way to hook mine in),
        slow, good debugger, good hooks to GEM, a bit more expensive.

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh (writing big numbercrunching programs on the ST)