[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drive Problems?!

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) (03/08/90)

If anybody can help, I would appreciate it!  I'm running into so many
problems on what should be a simplistic matter, I can't believe it!
  1) I used DLII and screwed up a partition of my hard drive
  2) I zeroed the partition, and eventually reformatted the drive in
     order to restore it from backup.
  3) The problem seems to be that when I transfer 172K or larger
     programs, The drive freezes with busy light on and system says
     drive is not on or not plugged in properly etc.
  4) Have tried starting everything from scratch, and now cannot even
     get drive C on the desktop (yes, I made sure it was capital "C").
     For some reason, when I save the dektop with drive "C", the drive
     disappears.  I checked the Desktop.inf file, and drive C is there.
     (Drive D does show up though)  Even when I boot using this
     Desktop.inf file, Drice C: doesn't show up?
I'm using a Supra 20Meg with a Rodine? controller.  Anyways, I really do
need help on this, cause none of it makes sense and I'm beginning to
think maybe the controller is going?  Its the only thing I can think of?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (03/10/90)

In article <90030820221525@masnet.uucp>, calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN
BRUNER) writes...
>If anybody can help, I would appreciate it!  I'm running into so many
>     (Drive D does show up though)  Even when I boot using this
>     Desktop.inf file, Drice C: doesn't show up?
As I recall, regardless of the contents of DESKTOP.INF if GEM doesn't think
there is a drive C when the desktop comes up then it will not display the
icon. It will however display all the other drive icons whether there is a
coresponding drive/partition or not. What you describe usualy happens (at
least to me) if the HD driver is not installed at boot time.

In other words boot the system, run the hard disk driver, then install drive C
icon and double click on it to see if its working. If you have set your HD to
autoboot then the drive C icon should show up when you boot.

Is the drive working at all at this point? That is does it work after you
install a drive C icon?

Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

knop@duteca (P. Knoppers) (03/12/90)

In article <90030820221525@masnet.uucp> calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) writes:
>If anybody can help, I would appreciate it!  I'm running into so many
>problems on what should be a simplistic matter, I can't believe it!
>  1) I used DLII and screwed up a partition of my hard drive
>  2) I zeroed the partition, and eventually reformatted the drive in
>     order to restore it from backup.
>  3) The problem seems to be that when I transfer 172K or larger
>     programs, The drive freezes with busy light on and system says
>     drive is not on or not plugged in properly etc.
Sounds like you have a hardware problem. (Software should not wear out
like this.)
This value of 172K is intriguing. This might be caused by a memory
problem, therefore run a memory test program. Also, open your computer
and re-seat all socketed chips. This seems to work for many people.

Can you cause your computer to fail by dropping it from 1 inch on a
table ?  This would indicate bad connectors or sockets.

Of course, the problem could also be in your hard drive. DON'T test
it for bad connectors by dropping! (More general: never move a running
hard disk drive.) Instead, borrow another ST and try to restore your
files with that machine. If it fails in a similar way, your drive,
drive controller, drive power supply, or cable is bad.
--
P. Knoppers, Delft Univ. of Technology, The Netherlands, knop@duteca.tudelft.nl