[comp.sys.atari.st] MULTISYNC RECOMMENDATIONS

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (02/24/90)

Hello all,

    My monochrome SM124 died (flyback) and my dealer told me that no
monochrome monitors are available.  Upon calling just about every dealer
and mail order firm for the ST that I could think of, I heard the same
story.  My dealer suggested that I sell him my Atari SC1224 (a very sharp
and crisp 1985 version) and he would sell me a multisync and adaptor.
    Ok, first question.... does anyone have a monochrome monitor that they
are not using?
    Second question.... how clear is the image in monochrome mode for a
multisync monitor?  I use Spectre GCR daily and don't want that product to
be hurt.
    Many thanks for any comments...

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/04/90)

In article <900223.22031795.042770@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>    My monochrome SM124 died (flyback) and my dealer told me that no
>monochrome monitors are available.  Upon calling just about every dealer
>and mail order firm for the ST that I could think of, I heard the same
>story.  My dealer suggested that I sell him my Atari SC1224 (a very sharp
>and crisp 1985 version) and he would sell me a multisync and adaptor.
>    Ok, first question.... does anyone have a monochrome monitor that they
>are not using?
>    Second question.... how clear is the image in monochrome mode for a
>multisync monitor?  I use Spectre GCR daily and don't want that product to
>be hurt.
>    Many thanks for any comments...
>
>Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

I have seen an Omnimon setup (comes with monitor and interface bundled), and
it is very impressive.  The colors for the color display look much better,
the mono display looks just slighly grainy (from the color mask).  It is
certainly usable, just not quite as super-crisp as an Atari mono.  I am
seriously considering getting a multisync, with the hopes of getting a real
mono in the future (the color display is that much better, completely blows
away the Atari color monitors that I have seen).  That way, if one monitor
dies, I do not have to suffer a work loss (although no Populous would really
suck).

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) (03/05/90)

I have an SM124 I'd part with for $100, if you'll pay shipping (it's a

seller's market now, looks like, to me). The multisync option is a good one (I use one now) but it isn't cheap. Anyway, here's my address:

Mike McCann

1101-4 Barbara Ann Circle

Winston-Salem, NC 27103

phone at 919-760-3438

EOFZZ

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (Bruce Szablak) (03/06/90)

My main beef with the multisync in hi-rez mode is what I term "shadowing".
I see characters and lines "echoed" in a fashion like that seen on TVs.
The problem is not too bad in reverse video mode. I suspect the cause is
the ganging of a 9 pin gender changer and 9 to 15 pin adapter to get
the NEC 3D to talk to the video box I have. Even without that problem the
Multisync is not as sharp as a true monochrome monitor.

bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) (03/06/90)

In article <900223.22031795.042770@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
> Hello all,
>
>     Second question.... how clear is the image in monochrome mode for a
> multisync monitor?  I use Spectre GCR daily and don't want that product to
> be hurt.
>
> Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

	I use a NEC Multisync 3D, which has resolution up to about 1024 by
800 or so.  It's beautiful in color, even better than the Atari in my opinion,
and the monochrome also looks better (IMHO) though I don't use it all that
often yet because I rigged the cable and it gets a lot of noise.
	The reason I suggest NEC is becuase NEC monitors are pretty much
the standard; they also have a good user base, and I've had few problems.
One thing to make sure -- especially if you're using the monitor for photo-
graphic use -- is to test it out in the store before you buy it (yes, I know
it's cheaper mail-order).  The reason is (actually this applies to ANY
monitor) that in transport, the magnets on the CRT might have been knocked
a wee bit out of convergence, leading to one corner being skewed.  Or you
might have a bit of color misconvergence.  In my case the first monitor I
got suffered from this (also a NEC 3D) but that was because the guy at the
store dropped the box.
	One good thing about the NEC 3D is that it'll work with whatever you
give it: 60Hz color, 50Hz color (including overscan), monochrome, extended
resolutions in the (somewhat vaporous?) STE, and even interlaced if you want
to rig that up (it can be done, tho I'm still working on it!).  Also, the
vertical resolution is so high that I can step the screen down one scanline
at a time, and with time-exposure photography, get 640 x 600 in color!  (The
scanlines step about three times before ending up overlapping).
	The only disadvantage I can think of for the 3D is that it's not a
flatscreen monitor, if this matters to you.  It's about the same curvature
of the Atari I think.
	BTW, there are oodles and oodles of different ways to hook up the
cable for this monitor.  I think there's an article in terminator.cc.umich.edu
about making the proper cable; if not, just play around with it.  The monitor
chooses its sync based on the incoming signals, although certain options
control how monochrome is handled (as a "color" signal or as an IBM-like
monochrome signal.  Choose the former; the latter tends to be fuzzy).
	Oh yes -- one bonus -- you can even use it for a high-quality TV,
if you have an NTSC-to-RGB decoder, because it takes composite sync inputs
as well as split horizontal and vertical.  In fact, I think it'd work
directly off a black-and-white signal, because it has a "green-composite-sync"
input.  Of course, your TV screen would be green, but maybe you like it
that way.
	Just think about HDTV!

Disclaimer:	I have no affiliation with NEC other than as a satisfied
customer.

--
|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	CANADA BILL JONES'S MOTTO:					|

bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) (03/09/90)

In article <940@lzaz.ATT.COM>, bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (Bruce Szablak) writes:
> My main beef with the multisync in hi-rez mode is what I term "shadowing".
> I see characters and lines "echoed" in a fashion like that seen on TVs.
> The problem is not too bad in reverse video mode. I suspect the cause is
> the ganging of a 9 pin gender changer and 9 to 15 pin adapter to get
> the NEC 3D to talk to the video box I have. Even without that problem the
> Multisync is not as sharp as a true monochrome monitor.

	The problem is you're using the NEC's "monochrome" mode, not the
NEC's color mode.  I've been using NEC in monochrome for a half a year,
and it's *sharper* than the true monochrome.  Call up NEC and ask them
for a pinout of the 15-pin adaptor.  I don't recall offhand what my
pinout is, and I'm in the lab right now, so I can't look, but what you
can do is buy the Practical Solutions "multisync" cable and go from there.
There is an article in terminator about how to go about connecting it;
this is for the Multisync 2 but the idea behind it works with the 3D as
well.
	If all else fails, call NEC and tell them your situation.  I
ended up getting it right by playing around with it, and the cable is
a real mess, all the wires are the same color, and I don't want to pull
it out and check to see which pin goes to which until I have to.  I
admit, it's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it did save
me from having to use two monitors.

PS: Using the 9-pin gender changer ganged to the 9-to-15 pin adaptor
probably IS the problem.  If switching the "color" switch on the front
panel causes your screen to change, then it isn't attatched correctly.
The same goes if your characters blur into each other.

--
|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	KATZ'S LAW:							|

mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) (03/12/90)

What exactly are you saying, HOW do you get these extended vertical resoultions in color?? I also have a NEC 3d; is there anything else to buy, or is that software?EOF