[comp.sys.atari.st] Graphics anybody?

tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (03/09/90)

I'm trying to write some arcade-quality graphics and sound routines on my ST.
Are there any GOOD books that talk about how to do this?  I mean, how do people
write things like Dungeon Master if there is no information on how to do this?

What I'd really like is "Mapping the Atari, REvised and Updated for the ST!"

Anybody know of any books that talk about this that are available in the U.S.?

I dont CARE what language I need to use it.  I'll buy a new language if I need
to.

--
	       ____
                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead

rick@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Ruck) (03/12/90)

In article <1111.25f63c10@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> tmwhitehead@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>I'm trying to write some arcade-quality graphics and sound routines on my ST.
>Are there any GOOD books that talk about how to do this?  I mean, how do people
>write things like Dungeon Master if there is no information on how to do this?
>
>--
>	       ____
>                /  _   _/  _/        Todd Whitehead
>               / /_/ /_/ /_/        Miami University
>                                      Oxford, Ohio
>	     If it looks like I said it, I probably did...

The Atari ST is a pretty straighforward, sort of standard machine, which is
probably why it has the power and following that it does.  Anyway, on
this account you should check out general computer graphics texts--they
have a number of quite inventive things to speed graphics to "arcade"
quality.  You might also try a trip to the local arcade--sometimes it's
interesting to sit around and try to figure out how some of the animation
is done.

Eric