[comp.sys.atari.st] Running MIDI at 500KHz -- conclusions

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (03/10/90)

Well, the situation looks pretty bleak.  I've gotten the MIDI port to
run at 500KHz without hanging the machine, but the connection is too
noisy (to say the least).  I set things up so that I'd type on one
machine and look at the output on the other.  Ever set your modem to
the wrong baud rate in the middle of a session?  Well, that's about
what it looks like on the receiving end.  Garbage!

I can only assume that the opto-isolators won't handle 500K baud.  It
doesn't seem like a software problem.

Dave Baggett
dmb@cscwam.umd.edu

cosc10hv@jane.uh.edu (Paul Sears) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar9.215613.17075@wam.umd.edu>, dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) writes:
> Well, the situation looks pretty bleak.  I've gotten the MIDI port to
> run at 500KHz without hanging the machine, but the connection is too
> noisy (to say the least).  I set things up so that I'd type on one
> machine and look at the output on the other.  Ever set your modem to
> the wrong baud rate in the middle of a session?  Well, that's about
> what it looks like on the receiving end.  Garbage!
>
> I can only assume that the opto-isolators won't handle 500K baud.  It
> doesn't seem like a software problem.
>
> Dave Baggett
> dmb@cscwam.umd.edu

I am sorry but I think I missed this but what is the purpose of 500KHZ?? Why
not a slightly slower cycle??  Or is 500KHZ a 'magic' number?

                |  Paul Sears       University of Houston  |
                |  node             COSC10HV@Elroy.Uh.Edu  |
                | 129.7.1.2      or TECHJW@Elroy.Uh.Edu    |

        'the greater an individual's power over others,
        the greater the evil that might possibly originate with him'
                -  PROPAGANDA, off the CD, A SECRET WISH