[comp.sys.atari.st] Wanted, help offered, long overdue reply.

) (03/13/90)

First of all: I need a moniter cable from a dead monitor.
I am building the RGB->composite converter with the instructions from
Anees Munshi (ver 1.0) does anyone have any hints/tips for me?
One tip that would REALY help is how to order the MC1377 chip, I
haven't found anywhere (read that 'even Motorola') that can get the
right order number...

2:  A hint that may or may not be obvious for those of us lucky ones who
can ftp :-)  when tring to find a program on terminator try:
'cd /atari', 'mget */firstpart*'
say you are looking for overscan.arc
'mget */overscan*' if it finds a match it will report the path/name and ask
'y/n', answer 'n' and cd to the path. (answering 'y' won't work)

3:  A long while back I asked why Uniterm was crashing on my system, I
found out a short time later... Personal Pascal v1.0 does something bad
on 1.2 TOS.  To see what I am talking about:  go to any dialog menu (in
help screen, not terminal screen) select 'cancel' and quickly go up to
menu bar so that a drop down menu should come up.  Vola! cursor disapers,
and nifty junk is left behind mouse!

I claim Personal Pascal is the offending software because other programs
written with it do the same thing: GEM kermit, and another that I can't
remember right now.  This behavior has been confirmed by a nice person
who's name I forget.  Please at least try it before flaming me!

PS: Please reply if this helps... Its lonely being a Ma***g repairman!

Blaine Lee
blee @ plains.nodak.edu

kerchen@muztag.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (03/13/90)

In article <3764@plains.UUCP> blee@plains.UUCP (Blaine Lee CME4FUN! ) writes:

>First of all: I need a moniter cable from a dead monitor.
>I am building the RGB->composite converter with the instructions from
>Anees Munshi (ver 1.0) does anyone have any hints/tips for me?
>One tip that would REALY help is how to order the MC1377 chip, I
>haven't found anywhere (read that 'even Motorola') that can get the
>right order number...

I suggest that you check out the Nov. 1988 (?) issue of Radio
Electronics.  It's got an article on building an RGB-to-NTSC converter
and it talks specifically about using it with the ST (as well as IBM).
If you can't find this issue (and note that I'm not sure about the
issue date--the issue was around that time) I can send you  a
photocopy of the article.  There are a few errors in the ST monitor
pinout, but other than that it's pretty good.  The author also offers
a kit which supposedly contains all the parts necessary for the ST
version of the converter (including the monitor connector) but some
of them (the monitor connector and delay line) weren't included
in the kit which I recieved.  So, beware if you choose that route;
I'm still fighting to get those parts.
The kit costs something like $35, plus a few bucks for postage.
Otherwise, getting some of the parts, like the MC1377, can be
a real pain in the pooper (but, I suppose you already know this).
I hope this helps.

Paul Kerchen				kerchen@kongur.ucdavis.edu
					kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu

kerchen@muztag.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (03/13/90)

Oops, in my recent follow up to this subject, I mentioned that the
RGB-to-NTSC converter was in the Nov `88 issue of RE.  I meant to say
that it can be found in the Nov `89 issue of RE.  Sorry if I rocked
anyone's world with this little mistake.